What to do with excess speaker wire?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vietor, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

As the title suggested I am wondering what to do with excess speaker wire.
    I am running q quite modest system, TX-DS595 and Paradigm Titans/CC-170, and it is wired with plain 12 and 14 guage wire (14 for three shorter runs of about 15 feet, 12 for two longer runs of 30 feet).
    The thing is on some of the shorter runs I don't use all of the wire (one of my speakers is right next to the reciver, less then 2 feet away), and I am thinking that if I simply coil the wire it may induce some inductance effects. Problem is I don't trust myself to be able to hear the difference, due to psychoacustical effects. So I am asking for advice.
    And the best part is, even if there IS no difference (though I think there will be, based on my knowledge of electric fields being a 2nd year physics student) the fact that I 'know' it sounds better, will make it so.
    Bah, I ramble.
    So whts the best way to deal with 10 feet of extra wire, and still keeping it in a small space?

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Choice #1. Cut it off. The unequal lengths of speaker wire resulting from the cut won't be audible. You eliminate any untoward inductance effects of potential coiling but those are probably minimal anyway. That means the main up side of this is that the wire dress is neater. Sonically, there shouldn't be a down side.
    Choice #2. Leave the ten feet intact but arrange it so it snakes back and forth. This minimizeze inductance effects, but again it's still probably not audibly different.
    The answer - Select either one, be happy and go enjoy your system!
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Problem is its pretty much only a temporary location for a few months so I don't want to cut it. Yeah I guess snaking back and forth would be better, hell damn near anything would probably be better then a coil (except perhaps a coil with an iron core [​IMG] ).
    Sheesh, 'no audible difference'
    Your supposed to temm me to take it down to my local witch doctor, have him dip it in the blood of a sacrificed virgin, under a full moon, and THEN coil it because that makes ALL the difference in the world and anyone who can't hear that difference is just a dullard!
    Vietor