What to do with an old junker car?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ross Williams, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I have an '86 Camry that's been sitting in the same spot for about a year now. The clutch went out, I couldn't afford to fix it, so there it's sat. It's now without insurance and it's registry is out of date.

I'm not sure what to do with it. It ran well before the clutch went out, but the car looks like crap, with a fading paint job and many rust spots. I don't know if anyone would bother to buy such a crummy car. And I don't think it'd be worth fixing it up just to sell it. My main idea was to sell it to a junkyard for a few hundred dollars, the parts alone have to be worth more.

Has anybody dealt with this sort of thing?

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

You could find another '86 Camry (working/running) and use the junker you already have for your own parts.

I'm not a "car guy," but I've heard of other doing this.

JKS

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Call junk yards that are around your area. One would have to be interested in buying it from you (although they may not give much). But the good thing is that they will often come out and get it from your property.

KyleS

4. Marianne Puckley

Marianne Puckley Auditioning

I know that you want to sell you car for parts, but you can also donate it. There are places that will take them and its tax deductible too! I think the Boy Scouts of America takes used cars.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

6. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Check with the Local High School and see if they have a "Auto Shop" Class. Sometimes they take in( Donated) old cars that need fixing for a "Hands on Experience" for the students to learn from?
    [​IMG]

7. Ross Williams

Charity's an option I didn't consider. I'll have to look into that.

8. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

I donated a car to a local charity once. It didn't need to be running. They came and towed it away. I got a percentage of the book value. I don't remember how that worked, but it was nice deducting that value on my taxes.[​IMG] And I didn't have to be burdened with trying to sell a POS car that didn't run![​IMG]

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

10. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent

You should always be able to get a few hundred U.S. bucks for any running vehicle. If it just needs a clutch to run, fix that yourself(Assuming you are handy). My friend has a 86 Tercel that he replaced the clutch on for under $100 CDN!!!!

It doesn't matter how ugly the car is. Someone will buy it.
    However, I don't know what this means, "it's registry is out of date." Hopefully it isn't a pain to update it.

I love my beater car! It is a 81 Volkwagen Jetta diesel. It gets awesome mileage, which is good because I commute to school in it. It easily gets 300 miles to a 10 gallon tank.(I think it is about a 35 litre tank??) Sure it is a little slow with only 50 horsepower and 55 ft/lbs, but I can cruise comfortably at 70 mph on the freeway. Top speed is 80 mph. As an added bonus, with the ugly gold(brown) peeling paint, I never have to to lock it. I can park against a barrier by backing up until my bumper hits. I don't ever wash it.

Caleb Penner
    Edited for a typo

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    How about parking it in a bad neighborhood with a picture of Osama Bin Laden on the roof and see how many people come out with a sledgehammer and beat the crap out of it? [​IMG]
    Just think the emotional and stress release it would be for you and thousands of others!
    Jay

12. Ross Williams

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

most junk yards won't give you diddly for that car, they will offer to tow it away for free or maybe offer you 50 bucks if the owner has a toyota that needs an engine
    I know a man who owns a junk yard and have watched him operate
    your best bet is to either advertise it and sell it for a couple of hundred or donate it, I have donated one car in my life, a volvo 740 wagon that my cousin was going to give away, he gave it to me because he did not have enough writeoffs to get the deduction and I did so I got the writeoff and bought him a new TV for christmas

14. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent

15. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I have a fantasy about having the right old car, a convertible, possibly with hood or trunk removed, set into the back lawn, filled with earth and used as a planter.

The car has to be a good color to qualify as a planter, say a 1950's red, or baby blue.

Unfortuantely my wife doesn't share this fantasy, but maybe you can find someone down your way with that taste

16. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Check the Kidney Foundation. I donated a 85 Audi two years ago that needed $2100 worth of repairs to get through inspection. ThI called the KF and they sent a flatbed and took it away. I got book value ($2400) as a write off on my taxes that year and it's a good cause.

17. Ross Williams