1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with a bill for 42 cents?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I got a mastercard bill for 42 cents because I really don't use it as a mastercard but as a phone card. I happen to make a call last pay period which was basically leaving a message on a friend's voicemail that I wanted to hide because it was for a surprise party so I didn't use my shared line with my parents.. However, now I have a bill for 42 cents!! I can waste a check and 37 cents postage or pay the puny interest charge but I've never paid interest before on any of my credit cards so I want to keep my perfect record...

Jay

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Assuming you've had the card a while and you're in good standings with them, would it be possible to call and ask if they can write that .42 off your account??

I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes you'd be amazed at what some companies do to make their good standing customers happy.

Worst case, you mail a check, and consider it a lesson learned.

Alfer

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

edit: Need more coffee.

OK, if there's something else you intended to buy via check this week anyway, you could charge it to the card instead and overpay the bill in the amount of that purchase.

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Some credit card companies have web sites that allow you to pay electronically. They take the money directly out of your checking account - for free. You could save 37 cents that way.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'd be less worried about the interest and more worried about the $25 to $35 Late Fee if you don't pay. Definitely call the card company and ask how you should handle it.

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I'm able to pay ALL my bills and credit cards online, and I bank with TDcanadatrust as well as ScotiaBank, so I think you SHOULD be able to do the same. Ask your bank if they have online banking available.

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Come to think of it, I like SteveA's idea best. It does only take a few minutes to set up online CC bill payment.

Between online CC/CC bill payments and automatic bill payments, I rarely use a stamp anymore. I'm still using makeup stamps to finish off my last 20-pack of 34 cent stamps.

8. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

cripes, I'll send you the friggin' 37 cents if it's *that* big of a deal to you !! Just pay it and be done with it !!

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Send them a check for $100 or whatever and then use the credit balance to do some Christmas shopping.

KJP

10. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

I got a bill for 24 freaking cents from AT and T. Dont they realize it cost them more than that to process this bill. What a waste of time and paper.
    Rob

11. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Sorry ... I think I got the best bill today. $0.01 [​IMG]
    Yup, that's right ... ONE PENNY!!!
    My billing date for my line of credit is the 1st of the month. Last month, I paid my entire balance on the 5th. Apparently that was long enough to earn a whopping $0.01 worth of interest.
    So I went down to the bank this afternoon with a penny in hand to pay this bill. The guy at the counter chuckled a bit as it really was quite rediculous.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

better to pay the stamp and not take a chance with a late charge. most of that stuff is automated so the computer could care less if it was 42 cents or 42 dollars. it'll flag you as late and then you've got more worries.

i also do online banking...it's totally the way to go. i barely use checks at all now and my stamp consumption has gone way down.

13. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Wait until you get a bill for $0.00. It happened to me once. I didn't think anything about it until I got the exact same bill the next month. I finally got tired of getting the bill and mailed them a check for $0.00. Never heard anything after that (of course the check was never cashed.)

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Funny, this is an ATT universal card... They use the same online account as my Sony card... odd, I'm already registered for the online payment so I just paid it.

I really don't mind using checks or sending stuff by the mail, it gives me someplace to walk to at lunchtime as the post office is a super short 1/4mi from where I work. It's another good excuse to get out of the office on the nice days. I also bike by like 2 post offices on my way home..

Jay

15. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Just don't pay it until it really adds up and it is turned over to the collection agency. Then it will be worth your time to deal with it!

16. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

You could always send it postage due. I bet they'd really have fun with that! [​IMG]

17. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

This happens to me all the time. I'll either call and tell them to roll it over to next months bill which they're usually happy to do, or I just send them $10 or so which covers a couple of months for my usual phone card usage.

18. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Darn, it's too bad you already paid the bill off. You coulda had some fun and had AT&T waste some money - send in a payment for $0.01 more than the bill is for. Then they have to send you a statement every month saying you have a positive balance. And if you ever cancel the card, they gotta mail you a check for $0.01. hehehe

Andrej