What to do with $2K???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Libby, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Ryan Libby

Ryan Libby Stunt Coordinator

I have @$2K for a 5.1 sound setup for 60%HT-40%music, not really interested in other channels. It seems that whether I go pre/pro or receiver, a good 5ch amp addition is the way to go. That will eat much of the $2K, if I do go with an amp.

I would like stay away from used unless someone tells me I'm really missing out.

I've been looking at what Rotel, Adcom, Denon, NAD and HK have.

I will actually be auditioning and purchasing speakers after this. I want to hear KEF's Qseries, Aperions, Axioms, Acoustic Energys evos and Energy Connnesiours. These aren't part of the $2K.

If any has any suggestions or opinions about how blow 2 G's, this rookie(and his friends) would be eternally grateful!!!

2. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Used for speakers...sometimes "iffy".
    Used for electronics... smart.

3. WillieM

WillieM Stunt Coordinator

I suggest using a Denon 2802 or 2803 reciever as a pre-pro and getting a Parasound HCA-1205 5 channel amp (5X140W).
    ( the 2802 only has pre-outs for the L/R Center and Sub)

Then, depending on the speakers, you can bi-amp the two fronts with 2 of the channels, run the center off the remaining channel and use the reciever to drive the rears. Or with a 6.1 system, you have the channels available in the amp when you may want to move up into more speakers.

(The reciever and amp should come in enough under 2k to buy all the connectiong cables and wires you need).

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I agree with Randy. Getting a used amp is the way to go. Getting a used pre/pro may not be as smart because of the possibility it might be outdated soon after purchase, but an amp will last YEARS and you can really get a good value by buying used in this area. I would buy used speakers if I could demo them first...like say at a dealer if they were floor models or something. Buying used over the net and you take your chances on both the condition and the sound.

2K? I would probably go with a receiver. 2.5K? I might go with the Rotel 1066 pre/pro and a good 5 channel used amp. You can probably get the Rotel for $1250 and you might be able to swing a good used 5 channel amp for around a grand.

5. Ryan Libby

I forgot to mention that cables and wires are part of a seperate budget, sorry.

6. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

You can get the HK AVR520 from onecall.com through the link at gotapex.com for around $540 shipped. Excellent receiver and would make a good pre/pro as well. I'd think seriously about it. Deal is good through tomorrow.

7. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that for $2k, you should probably get a receiver as a pre-pro and very, very good 5 channel amp. Amps last, while pre-pros tend not to. Take a look at the resale values of good 2-3 yr old amps as compared to 2-3 yr old good pre-pros, and you will see what I mean.
    As for speakers, what is your budget? Also, what is your speaker taste? Lean and fast, or warm and smooth? Please give more preferences concerning speakers so we can suggest a few for you.

8. Ryan Libby

I was hoping to stick around around $1500 for speakers. If less than four stands are needed, than $150/pair of stands goes into speaker budget. The reason for my higher pre/pro/amps budget is my desire for a 5ch amp, (this budget was originally $1K w/only rec.s in mind.)

I am hoping to have this equipment a month or so before Christmas so that I can have speakers selected just before Christmas.

Thanks fro offering assistance w/speakers. As far as taste goes, I am usually a middle of the road guy, and that's what I'm shooting for. One could see I will get a lot of HT use and think lean and fast, but then again, I don't like real sharp ear-stressing stuff,(don't want to have to take breaks during extended listening.)

The real sad truth is that the ultimate factor is appearence, a.k.a. WAF. You might notice 99.9% of the speakers I'm considering come in maple, I won't be able to get much else through the door.

Chung, I agree that amps and speakers are where the $ should go because they will probably get longer use, but I am going to try not to upgrade any rec or pre/pro for 4,5,6 or more years, we all know the truth, but that's my honest plan.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

9. Ryan Libby

Well, I'm truly leaning towards going w/a used amp from a dealer. I can't find anyone who will argue that that isn't a great way to go for amps. Now I have to just find one.

10. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

2k for a preamp and amp?

Outlaw audio 1050 $350 used
    Sherbourn 5/1500 $900
    Jolida 502 tube amp $700

11. Ryan Libby

Upon further and predictable review, I have decided to up my speaker budget to around $2K. This will mean some delay but I plan on keeping them for a very long time. I realley like KEFs, Acoustic Energy, and B&W from the appearence perspective and online reviews are very positive. I'm trying to find a way to listen to these speakers and get prices on models. Thanks for your help.

12. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Anny,

As a pre/pro, I'd recommend the Pioneer D811S over the Outlaw 1050 because of it's lack of DPLII, NEO:6, and DD-EX.

Just something to think about.

13. Ryan Libby

After taking in all of the advice I have been searching for it appears that my best course of action is to find some speakers that I really like and purchase them first, (KEF Q series in the lead w/Acoustic Energy tailing.) Once I have done that, and the funds appear then I can get a rec. or pre/pro, benefitting from newer tech, or lower prices.

The used amp. I will purchase sometime in there.

I was wondering if I need to consider how my speakers match sonically with the amp, and/or the pre/pro or rec.? And how the amp matches sonically with the pre/pro or rec.?

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer