What to do with 2 spare amp channels?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by minhG, Jul 19, 2004.

1. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

Well here's the situation, i have a 2 channel amp (onkyo m150, 2x150) and a 5 channel adcom (3x100,2x60). For the last few months i've been running my mains off the onkyo and everything else off of the adcom. Of note, i've been using channels 1+2 to drive each VC of my Adire Shiva EBS.

Well i've bought a Hypex HS200 plate amp to power the Shiva (mainly because i wanted more x-over flexibility that my preamp wasn't giving me...and i got it for a great price). So now I have two extra channels, and i'm hunting for ideas on what to use them for.

I am not interested in goining to 7 channel due to space restrictions (and a new preamp would be required!). I would be willing to entertain any other ideas.

so far i've thought of the usual suspects

--pseudo biamp, sounds dumb to me since i can't defeat the xover on my speakers. and the power ratings are different for the channels i have available.

--a second,SQ subwoofer for music--however i'd have to get an external x-over to solve my current problem (that the Hypex is solving...)

--DIY bookshelf speakers for zone2. my preamp has a workable zone 2, as long as i have the amp channels. so this is possible for better music in my bedroom. Cons: I have to run cable across the apartment and i have no control over the source playing.

any other ideas I'm missing? suggestions?

2. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Stunt Coordinator

Bass shakers....

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    How ’bout just letting them sit there? What would be wrong with that?

You aren’t using all the inputs on your pre-pro, are you? Or all the features on your DVD player? Or all the channels on your cable or sat TV service? How come the amp situation bothers you, but the others don’t? Just wondering.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

wayne,
    that's a valid point, i thought about just shelving the two channel amp and only using the 5 channel for everything. it would free up some space in the rack.

i figure since i had the channels, i could come up with a (cheap) project. adding something on the preamp side would be much more expensive then coming up with a use for the two extra channels.

the bass shakers is not a bad idea actually...

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

and can be done really cheaply too.

6. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Id sell both amps and upgrade.