What to do w/ old receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Brown, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Auditioning

I opted to go with the DishPVR package w/ 2 receivers, Top 100, and free installation for $49 a month.
    I have an old 3800 receiver that I have access to. Is there any way that I can use it with the two new receivers? (such as somehow using the Tuner with the PVR). I don't want to pay a $5 fee (& don't want to go through the goat rope of trying to hook it up to the dish) but it seems like such a waste to have a perfectly good 3800 doing absolutely nothing.
    Thanks.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you are not willing to pay the $5 a month to hook it up, try selling it here or at www.dbsforums.com. Someone may need spare parts.
    As for using the Tuner with the PVR, I'm not sure what you mean. The PVR501 is a complete unit that doesn't need any other receivers.
    -Robert

3. Jeff Brown

Jeff Brown Auditioning

I was referring to some people's complaints about the limit of the 501 w/ it only having one receiver - can't change channels while recording, can't watch something else while recording, and a question I had regarding my desire to put the antenna channels into my yamaha receiver (no coaxial input). The question was raised at one point about hooking it into the coaxial input on the back of the Dish receiver, but someone pointed out that it was just a pass through because you would need a dual tuner system to utilize it.
    Just didn't know if there were any possible uses to a "slave" 3800 without any additional $ requirements.
    Thanks though ... installers are coming a week from Monday. I'm excited to see how things change witht the 501.
    Jeff

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If they still work, I'm interested so I can get a receiver for the upstairs bedroom. I know this is not the Hardware sales section but email me at [email protected]
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

5. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

Hi
    I did add the 3rd receiver and I have the 501 and the 6000 receivers hooked up to the same TV via diff TV inputs so i can do PIP.
    I have the third receiver on a diff TV.
    I do pay the $5 fee though. One problem is that since I have a twin LNB on my dish 500 I can only connect two receivers to it.
    Maybe you want to have them connect dual LNBs and later on buy a SW64 switch which allows more than two receivers to be connected to two dishes.
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish 6000 + 8VSB, PVR 501, Dish 301, Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620