What's new

What to do next? Opinions please..... (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I've just finished upgrading several aspects of my system, but I need to know what to do next. Funds are becoming more and more limited, so naturally I want to spend what is left on something that will be the most beneficial to the overall system.

Here's where I'm at now.....
Outlaw 950 pre/pro
Outlaw M200 Monoblocks x5
Paradigm studio/100s
Paradigm studio/cc
Paradigm studio/20's (will be in on Wednesday)
SVS 20-39Pci
Panasonic RP-62 dvd
Hitachi UWX20B 51" RPTV

I'm thinking that it would make the most sense to upgrade my dvd player.....with the optical out on it, using the 950's DAC, I'm relatively satisfied with the sound. I'm wondering if going to either a Denon 1600 or maybe a Denon 2900 (might be too tight to swing this) would make a significant improvement. I'm more concerned with audio than video, so I if I pick up a new player I'd like it to improve 2channel and multi-channel audio.
Any thoughts????

bruin

Second Unit
how about a Behringer Feedback destrpyer? First though, use an spl meter and run tests to see how your svs frequency response graph looks like. The BFD helps to fix peaks to smoothen the response curve.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Lots of choices. YOu could check out the Sony 222es SACD/CD player. About $325 from Jandr.com and just keep the rp62 for DVD duties. If you want DVD-Audio instead of SACD, the Denon 1600 can be found for under $400 I think. Plus the 1600 is a better DVD player than your current one. The 2900 would kill 2 birds with one stone but will be more like $800. With one 6 channel input, if you want both SACD and DVD-Audio, the universal is the way to go.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
OKay, I finally decided to just go ahead and get the Denon 2900, with my wife's encouragement :) I have to say that I was pushing the budget a little considering the other upgrades I've just made, but my local guy offered me one for $850. Now that I have it, I would not trade this player for anything. I've only had it a couple days and haven't done much tweaking, but the picture quality is a HUGE improvement over my Panny RP62.....CD reproduction is also much improved over the DAC's in the outlaw 950 pre/pro. I've been using the 2900's analog connections with stereo bypass on the 950.....the whole soundstage just opened right up. Blue Man Group on DVD-audio (the only one I have so far) sounds quite cool, too......Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over' 5.1 DTS mix sounds like they're playing in our living room and we are in the middle of a huge audience.....and Journey's Greatest Hits on SACD is quite an improvement over the cd version. Anyway, I guess I'm done upgrading for a (long) while.....my wife looked at the sales guy at our local store and said, "okay.....is there ANYTHING ELSE he could possibly want to upgrade????" :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Many have found when pursuing the upgrade path with religious zeal the necessity to downgrade when the wife decides to upgrade her husband. Usually though you know this is coming when you get an invitation to Chicago to be on Jerry Springer :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks