What to do in St. Louis?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Denward, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I'll be in St. Louis from 7/31-8/3. I'm at a 1.5 day seminar at the Ritz Carlton [​IMG] and then staying an extra day. I'll be with my wife and 8 month old daughter. We're also bringing along my mother-in-law who will do babysitting for us for at least one night. While I'm at my seminar, I think the rest of the group would like to check out the Botanical Garden. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    [edit]Restaurant suggestions would be appreciated, too![/edit]

2. ChrisP

ChrisP Agent

I'd definately recommend the Botanical Garden (i live just a block away.) We also have a fairly top notch zoo(free) which just opened their new "Rivers Edge" exhibit, with the elephants, hippos, Tigers, etc.. in fairly natural habitats. A good art museuem(free) science center(free) history museum(free) (see a pattern? all of the institutions in Forest Park are free.) The Arch is something you should do at least once in your lifetime.

Restaurants: Favazza's or Gian-Tony's on the Hill (near the botanical garden) are great italian places.
    There are some good ethnic restraunts also near the garden along Grand Ave, just south of Arsenal. Pho Grand (Vietnamese) Babylon International (Middle Eastern - VERY GOOD), The King and I, Lemongrass (Thai) Mangia Italiano (italian)

The folks at the Ritz Carlton should be able to direct you to some very good restraunts in the Clayton area as well. ZuZu's is a great Mexican place, just a few blocks from the Ritz.

Also, not far from where you'll be is an area called the University City Loop. Good restraunts, interesting stores, The St. Louis Walk of Fame. Vintage Vinyl on the loop is the largest independent record store in town, good selection of just about every kind of music, new used and vinyl.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Welcome to town, Denward. Chris covered quite a lot, but I'd add one thing: Go to a Cardinal's game, too!

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I've eaten at ZuZu's and it was awesome. The food was otherworldly good.

Bruce

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Denward- I used to live in St. Louis until about 5 years ago. Some of the suggestions made above are excellent: arch, art museum, zoo, Botanical Garden,etc. If you have the opportunity to visit the arch, make sure you visit their underground museums where you can learn more about how the arch was built. Since you're staying at the Ritz Carlton (a VERY nice hotel), you'll be very close to the arch. In Forest Park, another attraction not mentioned is the Muny Opera. Don't let the name fool you; it's not "opera" but they do present stage musicals. I don't know their schedule, so you may want to check if they still have it running that late. That would obviously be an evening activity, but worth it if you enjoy musical theater and if the weather isn't too hot. Forest Park is a beautiful mid-town park which offers many ways to pass your time.

Grant's Farm is another option. It offers a small petting zoo and a nice way to escape from the metro hustle and bustle. It's owned by Anheuser Busch, and I believe you can even get one or two free bottles of beer as part of your trip. You may also want to consider a tour of the Anheuser Busch brewery elsewhere in St. Louis.

Six Flags has a large park about 50 miles west of St. Louis, if you are into entertainment parks. After rereading your post, I noticed you said 8-month old daughter, not 8 years old. So that's probably not a good idea for her, but you and your wife may enjoy it.

As far as restaurants go, St. Louis has no shortage of outstanding places to eat. You'll find a lot of Italian eateries on "The Hill", but there are many other choices as well.

Enjoy your brief stay in St. Louis, and don't be surprised if you find you want to go back to take in more of the many entertainment options available. At least with you living in Louisville, you're not all that far away. You may find yourself becoming very familiar with I-64!

Enjoy.

Steve K.

6. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Unfortunately the Cardinals will be out of town during that time. Everyone should see at least once what living in Cardinal Nation is like.

Here are some other good things to hit:
    If you want the best Italian food in St. Louis my choice is Kemolls: expensive but worth it. If you want something less expensive try Zias on the Hill.

On a hot summer night you have to go to Ted Drewes Frozen Custard. It may look busy but the lines go very fast.

Go to the Soulard neighborhood which is just south of Downtown. There are many good bars and restaurants. The Anheuser-Busch brewery is at the south end of Soulard. Free tours with free samples at the end. McGurks is a great Irish pub and 1860 Harshell Cafe has blues music. Another blues place is B.B.s on Broadway just south of Busch stadium. Two doors down is the Broadway Oyster Bar which has Cajun food and music.

Grants Farm which was where the Busch family estate used to be. Free tours and more free samples.

For good Mexican food forget ZuZu. Go to Chuy Arzolas in the Dogtown neighborhood which is just south of Forest Park.

Two good wine bars: either Nik's in the Central West End or 33 in the Lafayette Square area.

Old Town St. Charles is about 30 minutes from your hotel. Many restaurants, antique shops and a microbrewery.

The Great River Road is a beautiful drive along the Mississippi River from the towns of Alton to Grafton Illinois. If you do that make sure to stop into Fast Eddies for cheap eats and cold beer.

Skip Six Flags unless you're an amusement park nut. Nothing special there.

Are there any other interests we haven't covered you want to know about?

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

You guys are great. This has given me plenty to consume in a few days.
    A few specific requests:
    My mother-in-law is from Germany. Any good German culture in town? Budweiser doesn't count [​IMG]
    How about more fancy dinner spots. (I'll look into Kemoll's) I'm not averse to dropping $100 or more on a nice meal.

8. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Other good restaurants:
    • Sydney Street Cafe: almost always ranks in the top 5. Not too far from Soulard.
    • Annie Gunns: make reservations for this place now if you are coming in three weeks.
    • Truffles: not too far from your hotel in the suburb of Ladue.
    • Mandarin Bay on Washington Ave in downtown. The current hot spot for the pretty people. Gets noisy later in the evening as a bar but has great food. Had a dinner party with 10 people there and everybody loved it.
    • Jimmy's Cafe on the Park. On the west side of Forest Park in the DeMun part of Clayton.
    All of these are in the $100-$140 range for a couple with a good bottle of wine.
    The only thing I can recommend for German culture is to take a road trip to the wine country in Augusta. About an hour drive from the city it looks a lot like the Rhine Valley in Germany. A couple of good wineries to hit out there.

9. Justin_M

Justin_M Agent

What about Schafley's (sp?) Brewery? I was there two years ago and they have a nice bar and eatery right there. Is that place still open? Very good beer, also.

OXonce

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You have got to go Ted Drews. It is the best frozen custard in the world. At that time of the year it will probably be hot enough that frozen custard will taste great.

11. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Denward- It may or may not still be in business, but I believe there is a German restaurant just across the Mississippi River in Columbia, IL. I believe it's called "Eberhardts", or something to that effect. Also, while not exactly German culture, I was amused on my last trip to St. Louis to discover a grocery store that had all aisle signs in both English and German. I wish I had my camera with me that day, as I've not seen that before or since. I believe it's also in Columbia, IL. There's a lot of German ancestry in many of the small towns in Illinois, including Columbia, Waterloo, Millstadt, etc. You may even get lucky and find a homecoming somewhere in the area.

Edit- I second the above comment about Ted Drewe's. Wonderful stuff!

Enjoy your trip.
    Steve K.

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Agent

For German cuisine, the two main holdouts that are still around (we used to have LOTS of german eateries in south city) are Schneithorst's or the Bevo Mill. The Bevo Mill is in South City and is inside a giant windmill. good food, great atmosphere, but you'll want to call first to confirm hours and possibly make a reservation.

13. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor