what to do about speakers: TV in corner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan M, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

First post...

Due to the logistics of our living room (about 12'x19') the TV is placed in a corner next to our fireplace. There is not a whole lot of room on either side of the TV to put speakers. To make matters worse there is no seating position directly in what might be the "sweet spot"...seating is along the opposite corner's walls. Here's a rough diagram:

|TV Fireplace |

| |

| |

| c|

| o|

| u|

| c|

| h|

| |

______couch______

edit: hmmm, that didn't work so well, but you get the idea

I want to add an A/V recvr and speakers, but I don't know if the layout will prevent me from fully enjoying the sound. I'm trying to keep a budget of $1000 for an initial purchase of Receiver and speakers. I'm thinking of splitting that up 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of the speakers, what do you think?

Would it be better to:

a) get a cheaper 5.1 set-up (small satellites) right away for surround

or

b) get nicer L/C/R (booksehelf-size?) and then upgrade as able? (could be a slow process)

In other words, would full-blown surround on cheaper speakers be more favorable than better quality front-stage only sound? This would be mainly for movies.

thanks...I'm enjoying this forum.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Classic worst case scenario...Sorry, but I've tried thinking what I'd do if I had a situation like that...I'd almost have to stick to 2-channel rather that force surround sound into an area that won't accept it.

Good Luck!

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Juan,

Whats on the other wall of the room?

Tyler

4. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

It's a fairly long bookshelf accross from the one couch. Our old 19" used to sit on top of this bookshelf, but we got a 32" Wega and those suckers are heavy so bought the dedicated Sony stand. Without ditching the shelf, this necessitated placing the TV in the corner. I'm wondering if I'm better off looking into some other shelving options to free up the space to position the TV better...of course, that would require additional funds for new furniture...

The only other problem is the TV is deeper than the shelf so it may cramp the existing space in the middle of the room where a coffee table sits...tradeoffs, I guess...

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I used to have a config like that a while back and it was difficult to work with under the best of circumstances. All I can suggest is pulling the TV as far from the corner as you can (so maximum front speaker seperation can be achieved) and place the longer sofa along the far wall so more people can be in the "more ideal" listening position. Surrounds are the real pain to mount in this scenario though. All I can suggest is mounting them from the ceiling (or walls) so that they are symmetrical with listening position.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Can you put the TV on the right side of the fireplace so that both couches get a better view? Even if some of the shelves are now behind the TV? This way you can get better positions for the speakers.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

thanks for all the feedback... It turns out I was able to move the TV directly in front of the longer couch. [​IMG] We came up with a creative solution for the shelf for the time being. That should make things much easier for setting up speakers when I get to that point. [​IMG]