What to do about a possible deal gone bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Panterica, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Bill Panterica

How should I go about getting a resolution to a potential deal gone bad with another board member? I won't go into any details until my deadline to the member passes, but I would like to get some idea what recourse I have.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Bill Panterica

bump

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is no official HTF recourse, as this section is strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. You might read Ron's post on a similar issue here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...20#post1065220
    Like any online transaction gone bad- the best bet is to contact you local authorities and the authorities in the county/city the other party lives.
    -Vince
    PS: Bumping of thread is frowned upon overall- but bumping of a thread less than an hour after you posted it is REALLY pushing it.

4. Bill Panterica

I apologize for the bump, I am just kind of anxious and upset about the situation.

5. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Being that there is no feed back here like Ebay, maybe we should have a section like that for situations like this?

I have sold things here too, and have been fortunate that the buyers have been good. But I would be leary of selling to some one who has made less than a few posts.

6. Bill Panterica

Unfortunately in this case I was the buyer, not the seller.

7. Thang_N.

Thang_N. Stunt Coordinator

Hi Bill,
    Sorry about your experience, my suggestion to you is to just PM the member and ask for a refund, and you eat the cost of shipping etc.
    If it is a small dollar amount then I'd just eat the cost and learn from it. Online stuff is always risky, and you should try to cover yourself and ask the person ahead of time about return policy and such on used items..
    But if the item you received was totally falsely advertised and you paid by Credit card, or paypal then take course of action with them to try to get your money back.
    Again I am sorry about your bad experience, but I learned the hard way that some people are just out there to take advantage of others....
    [​IMG]

8. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

I would NOT want a rating system for buyers/sellers on the HTF. That opens HTF to people who will use this forum just to profit from. I believe this is an open forum for information and not a trading post.

Sorry Bill, I hope you resolve your situation with the other party where you get your fair share. if it doenst work out, I would suggest what Vince suggested.

9. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

I have been scammed before (not on this forum), but I almost always get my money back. Here is what would do:

- Contact the seller, by email, phone, etc. and give the person 10 days to return your funds or come to an agreement.

- If you paid by money order, then call the money order company and report it.

- If you paid via paypal using a credit card, call paypal and let them know about the possible fraud within 30 days

- If Paypal cannot help you then call your credit card company and have them reverse the charge if paypal cannot obtain your funds within 60 days.

- Finally, contact the Sheriff in this persons home town, and file a report and ask them to contact this person on your behalf.

I had a lot of luck when I had to do this, it took me 60 days to get my money back, but I got it back and the person who tried to rip me off had to get an attorney. Of course, I hate to do this, but they made a choice, now they have to live with it.

I attempted to sell a few thing on this forum, but I usually wind up selling it on ebay, but I would like to see a list of good sellers/buyers.

Things to remember when you buy online:

- If the deal is to good to be true, think!
    - Never pay cash, always use a credit card
    - Always talk to the person via phone if large sums are involved.
    - Come to an agreement regarding ship time, arrival
    - Don't be cheap, get insurance (just in case)
    - Get a bill of sale with a signature and cover your ass against stolen property.

There are many thing to consider, but this should keep you ahead of the game.

Good luck, and I hope everything works out.

- Adrian_S

10. Stan Rich

Stan Rich Stunt Coordinator

I realize the nature of the forum's and have had my share of experiences with some of the members,mostly they were good with a few exceptions,Fortunately I've not been scammed.(trolled).However if he's paid for goods and not received them,nor had a reply from the seller within a reasonable length of time I see no reason not to post the sellers forum name as a warning to others.For all we know he's trolling other forum members and will scam them also...I suggest if you don't resolve this go to trollhunters.com and give them the info.
    Just my opinion...
    I know..."Opinions Are Like Ass....s" Everyone Has One...

'

11. Bill Panterica

Well the situation has been taken care of. The board member had an emergency which required he be out of town. He arranged for his roommate to send the subwoofer, which he has done today. The member acted in good faith and I may have jumped the gun. The lack of communication worried me, but considering the situation it is understandable. The gentleman's roommate was very communicative and very helpful.

I thank everyone for their advice and support. I also want to thank the seller.

Bill Benham

12. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

In previous post...others have stated that the forum does not have a rating system for purchases...we do have a 'Good Traders List'...would this not be considered on those same lines. I know I feel comfortable with someone who is listed on the list and especially if there are a few good transactions in front of his name. I do not like the change in the forum that removed the number of post under your name in the left hand column. It at least shows whether the person on the 'for sale' listing has been on the forum for a determined period of time...not just a newly registered user to the forum. But we have no way of easily knowing now.

Just my .02

TimK

13. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

It appears you can still get the information. The registered date is still in the side piece and if you click on user profile, it will tell you # posts and approximate participation time.

14. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Adrian_S:

15. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

I've made over 150 buy or sells on ebay and I know my way around.
    Months ago I let myself get weak and clicked buy on a Yahoo auction for a computer that was 1000 less than normal and of course, the seller was NEW. Long story short - 4 buyers were burned for 2K each. We found each other and tracked down many links to the seller, who was a BigTime scammer. One got their money back.I managed to get half with a promise for the rest later. Turns out the scammer was trying to calm down the people that were really after them and get away with what they could.
    Now.....PayPal was actually holding funds from the transfer, but not letting me know much about it(I made a complaint) To my total shock, they actually rewarded my entire 2K back!
    Of course the scammer was all over me, and my response was NO RESPONSE. Giving back the love they gave me! Haa!!
    I distributed the leftover funds to 2 others that didn't recieve anything and kept a little for myself.
    I burned way more money in time and stress tracking down the scammer and finding other victims.
    I still use PayPal & I know I was VERY LUCKY!

Eric

16. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I would use the following as a modus behind any buying activity:
    1.) Cash deals for local-only buys from private parties.
    2.) If they are a business, local or otherwise, then credit card only and the seller's pricing should INCLUDE their own cost of doing business by mail/Internet. Tired of hearing businesses that can only entice by removing the merchant fees from the selling price and then expecting you to ante up. Imagine being forced into this route at your local shopping mall.
    3.) If the ad says money order, cash, or personal check then run away, far, far, away. Better yet, ask them to take a check on one of your credit cards! HAH, its still a check, but protected like a regular credit card transaction.
    4.) Ask for a products to be sent with a return-receipt with a 3-businessday evaluation (to insure against DOA). The return-receipt denoted the 72-hour timer for your evaluation, and the postmark on anything returned denoted if you kept within the 72-hours or crossed it.
    5.) Buy from a reputable source, or from a source that posts on a forum that has the ability to protect the two parties. You may also wish to find an escrow service. Some of us find sellers that we can trust to make $7K deals while others have been burned for $50 sales.
    6.) through 10.) If the friggen ad seems too good to be true, shoot yourself first and not give money away. That's a joke as I didn't say where to shoot yourself! [​IMG]

17. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Brae,
    So True.

E

18. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Erich:

Why would you keep any money over the amount due you ($2,000)?

Ron

19. BorisKaganovich

BorisKaganovich Stunt Coordinator

Should we require some feedback for the forum, let me suggest www.heatware.com

20. Tim_J_M

Tim_J_M Agent

I was going to suggest heatware also. I have an account there and unless someone can provide me with an ebay feedback thats verifiable or a heatware reference, I wont do business.