What's new

What to do? $750 and I need 5 speakers. (1 Viewer)

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
So I have been looking for months for the best set of speakers I can get for around $750, I already have a sub (svs cs 2531) and a receiver (hk 325) but buying the right speakers is killing me. I almost looked at every brand that has passed through these forums but I can't decide. Marc from audioshop gave me a good quote on dahlquists so I almost ready to get those, but I want to see what some of you guys could come with. Hopefully I can get some ideas here. Just like everyone in this world I like HT and music, but would really like decent bass from my front two speakers. Thanks

Jaimin

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
What kind of bass are you listening for from the front two speakers? You already have the SVS.

Five speakers for $750, I'm not sure you will be able to get a front speaker with lots of bass down low.

For that kind of money you can get a nice set of Ascend Acoustics. Along with your H/K 325 and SVS, I think you will be extremely happy.

I use Ascends with a H/K 525 and Hsu VTF-3, so I may be biased, but I do not think the sound is missing anything.

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not gonna go with axiom because that is what I got for my parents and I just want something different, also the system I would choose from them would put me over budget. I am also really considering ascend, thanks for the link, I haven't looked at there site in a while and it looks like they are going to have a new center channel soon which is cool. The reason I like bass from the front two speakers is cause I don't always like using the sub when I listen to music, so I am not looking for home theater sub sonic bass, but I guess bass that extends low enough for music ( I don't know what frequency that is maybe someone can fill me in on that). With HT the sub is great, but when I listen to music the bass seems to localized from the sub so I like to listen to music without the sub. Maybe a reason is because of sub placement, but none the less I like two speakers for a lot of music.

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jaimin,

You've already received two excellent suggestions. I think it would be hard to do better than Ascend or Dahlquist in the price range you're looking at. Two others you might want to audition:

Monitor Audio -- Bronze series

Wharfedale -- Diamond series

Good luck in your search!

Debbie

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
I think your on the right track with either the Dahlquists or the Wharfedale Diamond 8 series.

I was in the same boat a few months back and ended up getting the Diamonds cause I found a dealer with some very good prices.
Good luck.

DarwinU

Grip
coincidently, with your budget Axiom would've been my first choice...and Dahlquist comes a close second for me. If you've got a good price from Audioshop, go for the Dahlquist.

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. The only reason I would buy bass twice is because I don't like the localized bass I get with the sub when listening to music. But then again some of the speakers you guys suggested have really good value so maybe I will reconsider getting speakers like that.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Jaimin, did you find that smaller sat speakers gave a hollow sound when listening to music? IMO, all the small speakers-sat combos in that price range weren't that great for music. Some were ok. I ended going with bookshelfs and sub combo. I'm also a person who doesn't like a lot of bass in my music. I ownly turn on the sub when I'm listen dance or bass heavy music and HT.

Jaimin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like sat speakers at all, prefer bookshelves, and even more prefer towers. But how would you guys compare wharfedale diamonds to dahlquists, specifically the qx60 center channel versus the diamond center channel, and the qx8 tower against the diamond 8.3 tower. Thanks

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i would go with 3 m2is for the front speakers. i upgraded to these for $127 a piece including shipping and they are good enough that i have no plans to upgrade in the future. my old system was paradigm performance series (titans and cc-170). while very good for the price, they just dont match the midrange and treble of the axioms. not as realistic sounding for music or home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks