What to cook for a date

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor Harveaux, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

Hey there guys and gals,
    I've got a girl coming over to my house for the first time this weekend. AND she's nice, not an evil _____ like the last one (see link below).
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...jerry+springer
    I really like this one, we seem like a perfect fit, anyways... I told her I would cook her diner and she is bringing the wine. Any good suggestions on what to make? I'm not a bad cook, but, I'm well, a guy, so the only thing I can think of is spaghetti, and that seems rather lame. She seems to like just about everything, but I don't own a wok, so don't think about going down that route. I know she likes seafood, but cooking crab-legs would stink the place up. Anybody have a good suggestion?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Stay with your strengths and cook a pasta dish. I would probably find a recipe for linguine (sp?) with shrimp in some sort of cream sauce (you can just buy the sauce premade), those are pretty easy to do and look fancy. Whip up a little garlic bread and you are set. Also, buy a pint of her favorite (defualt = double chocolate) Ben&Jerry's Ice Cream for after dinner. No matter how badly you mess up the pasta, the ice cream can save the date.

PS - What ever happened with that nightmare situation? Ever get resolved?

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Pasta is a great dinner for a first date. It's not all that difficult and you can spend a lot of time with her rather than in the kitchen.

I'd prepare a nice salad in addition. Get creative, olives, carrots etc.

If your spooked by the garlic, go with a buttery style soft breadstick. Get the sticks fresh from the bakery, and brush butter on them, only a few minutes in the oven.

Oh yes, and some red wine, if your in that age group.

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

So long as you don't make her traditional bachelor food (mac 'n cheese, hot dog in the microwave, frozen pizza, top ramen, etc), you'll be fine. In other words, it won't matter what you cook, so long as you make an attempt to actually cook a real meal.

Re: The ice cream - Make sure you buy some ice cream for yourself, too. Handing her a Ben & Jerry's double chocolate ice cream and sitting there watching while she eats it sounds creepy.

(I just assume 1 Ben & Jerry's = 1 person. I've always eaten them right out of the cup, there really isn't enough to put in bowls and serve to multiple people.)

5. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

If she likes seafood and you want to take the easy route out with pasta, you can combine it to make linguine in a white clam sauce. My wife (girlfriend at the time) used to cook this for me and she claimed it was quite easy. Never stunk the place up either. Sadly, [​IMG] I don't get that dish much anymore due to my 8 and 5 year olds thinking it's "gross". Oh well, only 13 more years 'til they're both out of the house [​IMG] . (Just kidding - I love 'em to death).

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

ryan - haha, I was assuming they would split it in half and eat out of bowls! The one spoon, one container of B&J's comes the morning after, if you get darn lucky [​IMG]
    Seriously, since I have been married I don't think I have eaten B&J out of a bowl since. I just give the container to the wife and she passes it over once her fanaticism has been sated.
    Trevor - If you don't like ice cream, good store-bought cheesecake can get you the same amount of milage in a date.

7. Trevor Harveaux

Those ideas sounds pretty good, thanks. This wont be our first date, probably out 4th, but the first time she has been over. Ok, pasta, salad, bread. I can do that easy. icecream for later.
    I have an ice cream maker, so I planned on having everything ready to make some. I figured I get different kinds of ingredients to throw in and we can make whatever kind we want. it's one of those you put in the freezer so it only takes about 5 minutes to make. I thought that would be kinda fun for the two of us. Plus then we can feed each other a bit with our own creations. [​IMG]
    As for the other situation... I've taken care of my half though the court, and found out that the real father knows for sure. I haven't gone after her for any of the money spent, but I'm not worried about that. However, I did find out that she STILL hasn't told her parents. They know the truth, but they are just waiting for her to tell them. Evil...

8. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

If she likes seafood, you might want to consider adding some shrimp to the pasta, or even having it as a sidedish.
    Shrimp is INCREDIBLY easy to make (buy it frozen, boil till it's pink), and you can even buy them de-shelled. As an addition to the pasta it might give it a little zest, and as a sidedish you could serve it as an appetizer along with the salad, with some sauce to dip them in. Yum!
    I have a George Foreman Grill, and love grilling chicken-breasts. It's quick, easy, safe, clean, and very very tasty. You can marinate the mean for a few hours (simple store bought marination, and I have grown to love the taste of a honey-mustard marination), throw it on the grill for a few minutes, and voila!
    You might also want to invest in a simple veggie steamer. I have a Black & Decker vegetable steamer that prepares a hefty serving of veggies in about a half an hour. They come out tender and delicious! A good sidedish to any meat or fish dish you might be serving.
    And then there's always a nice side of rice... mmm.... can't go wrong with rice.
    If you're going to go with pasta, try to stay away from stringy, difficult to eat pasta that needs to be wrapped around the fork. Go for the "tubular" kinds (not macaroni... stay AWAY from macaroni!) that aren't as messy to eat, and still look fancy. [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Moe.

9. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

10. Trevor Harveaux

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

everyone already stole all the good ideas.
    the only thing i could think of adding is maybe some appetizers? maybe a cheese/crackers appetizer kind of thing.
    brie always works. warm it in the over for just a few first.
    another really good thing to try is roasted garlic. just chop the clove in half, pour some olive oil on them, then drop them into the oven. (not sure about the oven temp though.) when they're done you just spoon them out and spread them on the cracker. my friend did this at one of her parties and it was uber-yummy! of course, it is garlic...so you better keep that in mind! [​IMG]
    btw - i like your ice-cream making idea. [​IMG]

12. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

13. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

My Old Favorite is Chicken Cordon Blue(sp) with home made Cheese sauce, Seared Baby Carrots and a Bottle of Pinot Grigio(ECCO DEMONI 2000) and a Cheese cake to Finish. YUMMY.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

15. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Go with spaghetti and watch the Italian restaurant scene from Lady and the Tramp.

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

17. Trevor Harveaux

18. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

For the record, it's _really_ easy to make a cream sauce, and it tastes better (and is more impressive!) too. All you need is some heavy/whipping cream, margarine and parmesean cheese and you've got a cream sauce.
    You can make some fresh baked bread in your oven in about an hour (no need for those silly breakmakers or anything...) -- you can get a pre-made mix and just add a beer (or club soda...) to it and stick it in a bread pan in the oven anf you're all set. It's warm, fresh and, again, sure to impress. [​IMG]
    This is pretty much the limit of my cooking expertise... Best of luck.

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I think I made Lasagne for my wife the first time she came over for dinner when we were dating. I used my Italian mother's recipie with some of my own additions (alternating sweet and hot italian sausage along with plain beef - yum yum!).
    But if I do say so myself I'm a pretty good cook and handy with a recipie book, so I guess I'm not in your shoes.
    but....
    DON'T FORGET THE SALAD!!
    Just one of those "Caeser Salad" kits would be fine, but I'd throw out the cheese and get fresh Mozerella in the dairy section, you'll want it for the pasta as well.
    And make sure to tell her what kind of wine to bring to go along with what you're making. You don't want red wioth Chicken Alfredo but by the same token you don't want white with Linguine with a beef based meat sauce. Remember candles also. Flowers ont he table doesn't hurt either. Personally I like to go all out on dinner once in a while.

20. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I've made chicken parmesian when I was dating. That's pretty easy too. Bread some chicken up and bake or fry it up. Put some marinara sauce on top and heat up in the oven. Put some mozzerella cheese on top and take it out when the cheese melts. Serve it over some spaghetti noodles with some salad and a nice bottle of red wine and viola!