What to call my new SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roberto Carlo, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Officially, it's a PCI 25-31. (Although mine is tuned to 22HZ.) Having just unboxed mine and seen the "wow!" look on my son's face, I think the model should be called the "Mayhem" or "Anarchy" or even "Regression to a state of nature." My old Polk PSW-150 could vibrate the floors of my home. I'm actually anxious about what this animal will do. I can't even imagine what the 16-46 looks like.

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Dude, spend more time with your son! [​IMG]

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    how about the "Cookie Monster"?
    the fabric covering reminds me of a plush toy, although the Cookie Monster is blue and not black, and in a way the large opening on top is a bit like a large maw. the rumbling it makes could be equated to Cookie's chomping. and your son will love the reference.
    OK, I think I must've snorted or smoked something by mistake, that's just a crazy idea... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

My brother simply refers to my SVS as the "barrel of sound."
    He also thinks that Ron Stimpson and Tom Vodhanel are missing out on a golden opportunity by not calling them that.
    By the way, Robert, I have the 16-46 and it is a monster! [​IMG]

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Oops wrong thread. Feel free to erase.
    But now that I read it, I think you should name it something like, "I want to send Jed a free SVS" or something along those lines. Enjoy the new toy. [​IMG]

6. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

The bash amp and black color always reminds me of Darth Vaders chest plate. The dark lord of the bass.

7. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

How about "The Silo"? Then you could name the various models "DEFCON 1", or "DEFCON 2", etc.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Pete

8. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I have a friend that has affectionately dubbed my 20-39.."The Water Heater" [​IMG]
    Todd B

9. Roberto Carlo

Well, I may have not named it yet, but I finally got a chance to set up the SVS and my new Axioms after my son went to spend the weekend at his mom’s.[​IMG]
    First Impressions
    Let’s start with the Axioms, the M22Tis and VP-100. I got these from Axiom’s Factory Outlet. They were reduced in price because of some ostensible cosmetic flaw. I can’t see it. It’s as if Axiom decided to give me $82 (my savings). I’ll take it. These speakers are handsome. (I got the Maple finish.) They invite you to touch them and look them over.
    The SVS is . . . well . . . big! I doubt that I will exercise my right to return it, but if I do, it will be because I can’t get over how big they are. Like I said, I can’t imagine the 16-46.
    Set-up
    Easy as pie. I used Video Essentials. The Axioms are on 18” stands, 29 inches from the rear wall. They are 90 inches from each other and 96 inches from the primary listening position. The SVS is the front left corner, 9 feet from the primary listening position. As per SVS’s suggestions, I left the sub approximately 2 decibels “hotter” than the rest of the speakers. (Actually, THX Optimode says that it’s the same level.)
    Early Listening Impressions
    The Axioms are everything that was promised and then some. Even without “breaking in,” they sound so sweet, I “could eat their brains like jam.” I listen primarily to Jazz, with some classical and the occasional Latin CD thrown in. It’s like John Potis put it in Soundstage, listening to a well-recorded jazz ensemble, it’s hard to imagine wanting anything more.
    Anyone who doubts the SVS’ musical abilities is welcome at my place. I’ll throw on “Fingerprinting: The Art of Herbie Hancock” featuring Nicholas Payton, Mark Whitfield and, most importantly for this discussion, Christian McBride. I first listened in “direct” mode, which leaves the bass to the Axioms. You could hear the bass, but it wasn’t present in the way that Payton’s trumpet and Whitfield’s guitar were. To be expected; it’s –3db point is 60hz. Play the CD in stereo mode, which allows the SVS to handle all the bass below 80hz and it’s as if McBride walked into the room. The SVS blended perfectly with the Axioms. You could feel and hear the bass in a way that made it present. The combination of the Axiom’s conveying the “woodiness” of his bass and the SVS conveying the authority made the disc come alive. Here I was. I had just set up a first-class roof raiser and what do I listen to for the first three hours: Jazz.
    Speaking of “woody,” I finally popped in a DVD: Toy Story 2. Playing my system at 15 decibels below reference and pretty close to equally calibrated, I still hit 100 decibels, 100 LOW decibels, during the opening. I felt that opening; I didn’t hear it. I was awed and frightened.
    Conclusions
    What can I say? they're both, providing I get used to the SVS' sheer size, keepers. BTW, I think I'll stick to PCI, only, given it's musical abilities, it will stand for "Paul Chambers Incarnate."

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Here Robert. Does this help your SVS look smaller :p)
    [​IMG]
    My sub is almost as big as one of those as well [​IMG]

11. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

roberto-
    your set up sounds sweet. i, too, await my SVS today. i left a note on the door for mr. UPS!!! i hope he leaves it there. let me ask you this: what axioms are you using as mains, which as surrounds? also, what receiver/amp are you using with this combo. i was looking at the denon 3802 with axiom m80s, the vp150 (still undecided on surrounds) and the soon arriving 20-39pci. thanks-
    p

12. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

dustin!!!-
    dear god, what is that monstrosity that surrounds you???
    p

13. Roberto Carlo

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Peter, that's not me, that's HTF member Jeremy Santos twin DIY (do it yourself) subs. I just choose that pick as his are even more ridiculous size wise than mine. Here is a link to the rest of his stuff: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28538.html.
    He doesn't give any specifics on the design and drivers he used. But given their size I'll guess each one either contains a single Adire Tempest driver (equivalent to an SVS Ultra but only requires 250W to get to that output level and can be built for less than half the cost of an Ultra) or a pair of Shivas (total of 4 drivers between the two then). Four Shivas would cost more, would have more output from mid 20hz and up, but wouldn't be able to extend as low.
    If you follow the links in my sig you can see pictures of what I've built.

15. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,

While not physically as large, my dual sealed subs with their 1.5" thick baffles and 5 internal braces aren't lightweights! They're easily 80 lbs. each. Just wait 'til Adire releases that uber15 they're working on! I can easily see that turning into a 150 lb. end table!

BTW, did you get my email regarding Craig's thoughts on the DVC 15" I built him?

Brian

17. Martice

Martice Screenwriter