What to buy?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by TommyW, Apr 11, 2006.

1. TommyW

TommyW Auditioning

Alright I’ve done a lot of reading and still don’t know what system to get. I’ve seen things that say the in the box stuff is substandard and at read other places where it said try and get everything from the same manufacture.

I have a dedicated HTR room that will be 20’ x 15’ x 8’. I would like to hide everything as far as the speakers and wires in the wall. I’d like to keep it to about 3 - 4k (give or take) for the audio equipment and components (speakers, subwoofer, wire, receiver, am I missing anything?). I’d like to be as updated as needed and primary use for the audio will be movies. What exactly would you recommend purchasing?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Whoever said to get everything from the same manufacurer is dead wrong. Basically, that could not be further from the truth to some extent. For speakers, you should keep all the speakers from the same company and product line if possible with the exception of the sub, but thinks like receiver, DVD, TV, etc... don't have to be.

In-wall speakers are a compromise at best. Sure they look good, but unless installed by someone who really knows what they are doing, they usually don't give you the best sound. I would advise checking with local shops to find out what they carry so you can listen to them and see what kind of work they can do for you.

Check www.paradigm.com and www.bwspeakers.com for some starters for dealers in your area.

3. TommyW

TommyW Auditioning

1 – The 3-4k budget is for audio only, so that wont include tv, dvd player etc…
    2 – I would like to stay with a 7.1 in-wall type system

I was looking at the MTX speakers and see there fairly priced and have good recommendations as far as in-wall speakers go. I’m a bit confused about exactly what speakers I should select.

HT8253W 8" 3—Way2 front speakers$567
    HT2625W 6 1/2" 2-way1 center speaker$230
    HTS28W Dual 8" In-wall 1 Sub woofer$360
    HT825W 2-way surround4 - 2 side & 2 rear$700
    ------
    Total:$1,857

So is the above correct as far as the 3-way speakers in front and the 2-way for the sides and rear speakers?

Also I see this other speaker 2-Way In-Wall BI-POLE/DI-POLE Surround Speaker, should I be adding this. If so, am I replacing the rear 2 speakers previously selected with this?

HT520BDP BI/DI2 rear speakers$460

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You would be replacing the side surrounds with bi/dipoles, not the rears.

5. TommyW

TommyW Auditioning

Thanks John. Is it worth the extra money to put these bi-pole speakers in on the sides?

That leaves me plenty of room for a receiver, any suggestions?

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tommy, your thread has been moved from the Basics area to Speakers/Subs because you are asking for specific advice as to what to buy. Next time you're in Basics, read the red-lettered message atop the thread-listing page -- specifically, the very final sentence.