What's new

What to buy - Onkyo? (1 Viewer)

BruceDN

Auditioning
I am working in Saudi Arabia for the next year or two, and will be getting a new HT receiver in the coming weeks. Problem is the selection is quite limited in the local market, but most of the prices are good. Basically I've got the choice of Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer and NAD. Too bad I can't get a Denon 3803 for $650 here.....

Here's the selection I can get;
Yamaha RX-V1300 $875
Yamaha RX-V2300 $1185
Onkyo TX-SR601 $550
Onkyo TX-SR600 $450
Onkyo TX-SR701 $810
Onkyo TX-SR700 $675
Pioneer VSX-D712 $350
NAD T752 $880

To me the 601 seems the best value, or even the 600 at a clearout price. Not sure I can justify the 701 at $260 more just for THX(?). Any recommendations you can give would be helpful - none of these are available for home trial with my Definitive Tech. ProCinema 100 system, so I need to make an informed choice. Use will be 50/50 HT/music. I want to spend my money on quality, not a hundred functions I'll never use.

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo TX-DS797 and have not been dissapointed with it. It has all the features and enough power for a HT. It even sounds good in plain ol stereo. If you can buy as much as your budget will allow. Those are okay prices as you can get better deals through the internet. Here at the local Fry's they had the TX-DS989ver2 for 1500. If I did not have my current reciever I would have sprung for that one. But it is a beast to fit into an armoire and I could not think of taking a saw to it. Happy hunting.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I LOVE my 777 in spite of a minor glitch that I have been experiencing lately (refered to in a seperate thread). It is super easy to setup and operate. It also has what I consider to be a must in a receiver: test tone for the subwoofer channel. The quality/value quotient is very high with Onkyo.

Dave McC

Auditioning
I have to agree. I help set up my Dad's HT. He bought a SR600 and I was very surprised with the ease of use. I realy had never experienced it until that point. Awesome and esy to use. I decided I needed one for myself and bought the SR700. Onyko is an awesome product for the price. Good luck with everything

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone please help Bruce out.I don't remember him mentioning the 797, 989 or 777 on his list.
BTW does the TX-DS989ver2 for 1500 at the local Fry's include postage and handling to Saudi Arabia

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
I just set up an Onkyo 601 for a friend and I can't say enough good things about it. Great features for the price, i.e. excellent bang for the buck. Love the learning remote!

Of course I picked it out and I own a 696, so salt that a little.

BTW I am amazed at the very small price difference between our price over here and yours in SA. I don't think you can go wrong with the 601 for $550!

BruceDN

Auditioning
Yes, the Onkyo are very price competitive with US prices and are dual voltage as well, but the Yamaha are much higher priced in comparison.
From what I've read, sounds like the 601 & 701 are substantial upgrades from the 600 & 700.

Hello Bruce, I used to live in Riyadh, KSA around 12 years ago. My dad bought an Onkyo Integra 801 amp, 909 Integra cassette deck and a set of polk early RT speakers. That was when I first became an Onkyo/Polk fan. What store did you get your prices from? Usually you can really haggle with them about prices or you can work out a deal.
I'm surprised they don't have any high end onkyo /Integra lines. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that they can most of the times, special order almost any Onkyo/ Integra unit
that's in the Onkyo catalog and in any colour they come in. So be sure to ask!
I am really interested to know the cost of a Ds989 version2 reciever!
Talk to you soon!

Dennis

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
can you get marantz? not recommending it over others...just another good option...

since you like music as much as hometheater, i would consider the nad or the h&k over the others...

if it were me i would get the NAD, H&K, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer in that order...

but then, im 85% music

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks