What to buy? High end projector OR low end projector and separates?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Biller, May 12, 2004.

1. Kevin Biller

Kevin Biller Agent

I posted this same question in receivers and separates, but it relates here as well.

I am at a point of indecision. I want to get my first projector. However I can't decide if I should get a highly regarded one and decent screen (specifically the NEC HT-1100 and a Draper tab tensioned screen) OR get a cheaper screen/projector combo and also upgrade my gear.

My current stuff consists of: Onkyo Integra 7.1 receiver, a Classe CAP-150 integrated amp which powers my fronts and is used for 2 channel listening. Current TV is 32" Panasonic CRT GAOO. I plan on getting a 16:9 45x80 screen. Speakers are B&W Nautilus 805's in front, HTM-2 center and 602s2 rears + SVS dual 20-39 subs.

I have a budget of about $5-7K CAN. If I go with the lesser projector, I was considering selling my receiver and integrated amp for a nice pre/pro amp combo like the Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-5. I can get this combo for around $5K, sell my stuff for about $2 and then have about $3 grand left for the projector and screen.

If I go with NEC HT-1100 and nice screen I am looking at around $7grand. My existing gear would have to do for a while as this blows the budget for this year.

Does anyone have any insite on the best bang for the buck? Thanks for your info....

2. Ed K

Ed K Auditioning

Greetings sir,

you asked so here goes! Sounds like you have a great audio setup now! If it were me, I would keep what I have and replace components as they break especially if it sounds good! Go for a good deal on a projector/screen (maybe last model run), pocket the extra or buy some other neat toys ( after taking care of the sig. other of course). I just bought a great proj/screen combo for less than $1500.
    My philosophy.... show me $4000 dollars worth of difference then we can talk!

Peace and good luck with the shopping!

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Get a used CRT and have a high end projector for cheap. the added cost, however, is time/effort. it's another option though.

4. MarkB

MarkB Extra

If you are getting your first projector I would recommend getting one of the lower priced models. It's difficult to really recognize all of the pros/cons of any front projector until you actually have one. Get a lower priced model and see what you like or if you have problems. If you have problems, you'll know what to look for when you upgrade. You might find that you love the less expensive model and save yourself some money.

Front projectors are getting to be like the computer industry where technology that cost 10000 just a couple years ago is now available for less than 2000. This trend will likely continue at least until full HD resolution is available for $1000.

As far as upgrading the rest of your system. What problems are you currently having with it? What about your system is bugging you that you feel needs to be corrected?

Mark

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

This is great advice. I did this myself last summer. I got a good one but one that was on the lower end of price that had a native 16:9 ratio. Living with a projector is not as hard as you might think but there are variables that are sometimes difficult to predict.

Best of luck!

6. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Your audio looks fine, so enjoy the high end of things. The extra features such as HDCP, higher contrast and lumens, pixels for HD, will make for a great show.