1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy for my HT?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by james.norris, Sep 4, 2003.

1. james.norris

james.norris Auditioning

Looking to build a dedicated media room in our basement... So far I've come up with the following and wanted your opinion...

- Da-Lite Perm-Wall Projection Screen w/ High Contrast Cinema Vision Screen Material - 60" X 80"

- Da-Lite Pro Imager Vertical Masking System for 60" X 80" - 100" Diagonal

A couple of the projectors I'm considering to buy are the NEC HT1000, Optoma H56, Mitsubishi XD300U, Sanyo PLV-60, Panasonic PT-L300U... Please make other recommendations if you think you have a better match... Not sure if the X1 or Boxlite 1HD (Sanyo Z1 clone) will perform up to the level I'm hoping for or not... The price on the X1 and Boxlite 1HD are what I'm looking for though...

I read last night that the NEC HT1000 requires a ceiling height of 9'... Does anyone know if this is true? Was also considering the Mitsubishi XD300U, but read that it might not be a good choice for dedicated Home Theater...

Also, read that DLPs don't do well with perforated screens (Audio Vision)... What do you think? Audio Vision High Contrast was my first choice in screen material because I wanted to put my center channel behind the screen. Have a Bose Acoustimass® 15 speakers sytem, but want to upgrade the Center Channel (any suggestions, "not Bose") and make it a 6.1 with rear center.

My room is roughly 30' X 15' with the media area being roughly 15' X 15'. Ceiling Height of - 7' 10". Distance from Back Wall to Front Wall - 15'.

If you need more information please feel free to ask...

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

A couple of comments.

First, you are looking at 4:3 screens, but at least some of the projectors you are looking at are native 16:9 projectors. you don't want to mix and match like that. If you go with a 16:9 projector, get a 16:9 screen.

I would first decide what aspect ratio you want. I am firmly in the 16:9 camp, but there are valid arguements for a 4:3 projector.

I would then look at seating distance and screen size you want. If you are sitting far enough back, you will not see any difference between a pany 300 or a Z1. For that matter, with a relatively small screen or longer viewing distance, you probably won't see any significant difference between the entry projectors and the more expensive projectors. With a larger screen and/or closer viewing distance, a higher resolution projector might be better.

I would give serious thought to not buying a screen, at least not at first. Building a screen is very easy (and fun), and it gives you the opportunity to look at different sizes, coatings, screen materials, etc. I love my homemade screen.[​IMG]

3. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

The Optoma addresses the concerns regarding 16:9 screen vs 4:3 screens. Once set up properly, you can use one screen for both formats without needing to reset the screen position.

This is covered in detail in a great review of the piece at the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity website.

Good Luck

4. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

The NEC HT1000, Optoma H56, and Mitsubishi XD300U are all XGA (4:3) formats, and the Sanyo PLV-60 and Panasonic PT-L300U are 16:9 format. If consideration is stronger for the XGA panels then go for the gold and buy a 4:3 screen.

I've only seen the HT1000 and it was on the Da-Lite Hi-Power and being a CRT person I could easily find sufficient brightness from the HT1000 with the lamp running in economy mode and its iris closed.

You've stated that this is a media room, as opposed to a home theater. Is this because of lack of light control, the intention to watch a lot of TV and games, or some other reason?

5. james.norris

james.norris Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback... Here's the plan...

I'm really interested in keeping everything 4:3 since this will be mainly used for watching sporting events, playing video games and an occasional HDTV/DVD viewing...

A couple of nights ago I purchased a 60" X 80" Draper Targa 1200 on eBay for $105... Thought this was a great purchase since they sell new for roughly $3000 and this one was in excellent shape... Of course the auction ended a couple of days ago and now I can't get in touch with the seller even though he and I had email conversation the day of the closing of the auction... Will see how this one is resolved...

I'm really am interested in the HT1000 after reading so many complimentary articles about it, but I'm concerned with the height of my ceilings (8') from screen to 13' back and only (7') 13' to 15' back. The room is layed out with a 2' inset where the screen will go and eventually be encased with wood trim, etc... to give it a finished look...

I labeled this as a media room just because there is a bar area, gas fireplace and card table in the room (32' X 15'). The room can be completely dark since there are no windows. The only access is through accoustical french doors. I have 4 series of lighting: pendant over card table; 6 recessed over theater area; 2 sconces near screen area but have no reflection on screen and 5 recesses in bar fireplace area... All lighting will be on Lutron Grafik Eye 3104.

The guy at Projector People suggested the Mits 300 over the HT1000 but I'm really not sure why... Any ideas?