What To Buy Denon /hk/ Or Rotel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by priya, Dec 31, 2003.

1. priya

priya Auditioning

I was wondering which one off these recivers to buy
    1. DENON AVR 4802R
    2. HARMON/KARDON AVR 7200
    3. ROTEL
    with these speakers (will use same manufature for (front,center and surrounds )
    a.Paradigm (Titan,Focus)
    b.B&W Nautilus 800
    c.Polk Audio Rti2
    d.Klipsch
    What will sound best and work best with no sound conflicts please advice building bew home soon. My sub will be from SVS PB2-ISD.

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Of those 3 I think the Rotel would be your best choice.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

The Rockets come packaged with Denon receivers so you may want to look into those. Very good reviews when used together.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

You are builing a good setup,

Recievers,
    I think the 4802 is a little overpriced, but if you like the sound of it, go for it. I think the best of the three is H/K AVR7200, it was tested by sound&vision, and rated 142w five channels driven, and thats pretty impresive, and for $900 I dont think you can beat it. Rotel IMO is a little superior in sound and quality, but also price wise, so its up to you, try to audition the three recievers and see what you like best.

Speakers,
    Here is also very personal decistion, my first advice will be to go and auditon the ones you listed, and decide for your self. But IMO, out of your list, I like B&W Nautiluis 800 the best. But I have also audtion some Klipch Reference speakers and was impress with the soundstage, although at the end the sound wasnt for me, but I have friends that love their klipsch, this is one of those brands that either you love or hate, but thats up to your ears. Paradigm is another great manufaturer, but I think the B&W are little more of what I like, but again thats my personal liking, you should go out and auditon and see what you like, you will be the only one that is going to end with this setup, auditioning is a very fun part of builing you setup, dont let others decide for you. You will miss this stage in the future.

I think you cant go wrong either way, you have choose good components all the way around. Good luck,

Take care,
    Pablo

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with Pablo, I would jump all over a 7200 if you can get it for 900$. The speakers are really the most important part though if you ask me. Paradigm sounds great with H/K but I would stay away from the performance line (Titan/Focus). They are the lower line in Paradigm and I think you will do a great receiver like that an injustice. I would move up to the monitor or studio series if you can swing them. Monitor 7's are great pared with a cc370 and studio's 40's are excellent pared with the cc470. The studio's would better compare to the B&W 800 nautilus. I personaly do not like Klipsch and do not have a lot of experience with Polk so I can't help you there. Those B&W's are hard to beat though. Good luck.

6. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

If you visit the Polk forum, you will see that people there are happy with the Denon receivers. With any of the 3 receivers you are looking at, you may want to look at the higher end RTi speakers than the RTi2.

7. John S

John S Producer

Your looking at all bright and forward speakers...

The H/K probably mates best with all of those really, and I am a Denon head myself.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Which Rotels are you looking at?

9. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

That is quite the budget gamut for speakers....

You realize the Nautilus 800s are $20,000 retail. If you go with 800s, none of those receivers will cut it. You will have to invest in seperate amplifiers to power them.

Paradigm Studios are even cutting it close for optimum performance using only a receiver.

You can use a receiver as a pre-pro and amplify your speakers with seperate amps...but first, you need to figure out which of those speakers are for you...then add the electronics.

BTW, I use N802s with a Denon 5800...and a couple of Krell amps in between.

Peace,

Jeremy

10. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeremy on the speaker comment. The N800s are in a completely different league than any of the other speakers you mentioned and a receiver just isn't going to cut it for them. I also suggest stepping up in the Paradigm line if you end up going with them, Monitor line at least if not Studio. If that means reducing the receiver budget, then do that. Receivers are certainly important but speakers make the biggest difference in the sound. Based on the gear you noted, I'm having a tough time getting an idea of what your budget is. Which Rotel are you considering? The 1055 or 1066? I also second Jed's comment on checking out the Rockets, av123 can put together a good deal with Denon gear and they're an authorized dealer. Based on the speakers you noted Rockets may not be the right sound for you but they're certainly worth an audition, you never know.