What's new

What Three Albums Would You Most Like To See In Hirez? (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Beatles - Abbey Road

Kings X - Gretchen goes to Nebraska

Phil

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
It is indeed hard to limit it to 3 choices, innit?

Here are 3 that I don't think anyone else has mentioned:

1) Eno/Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
2) Ryuichi Sakamoto - Illustrated Musical Encyclopedia
3) Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Of course, MCH would be sweet, but I'd settle for 2CH if that's the only choice.

Doug

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Jeez, limiting it to three is pretty constricting. Even limiting it to 300 would be tough. Anyways, I think that there is some music that would be better to stay in 2ch hi-rez while some other would benefit from the MC treatment. I, myself, would rather have the majority of the Beatles catalogue in 2ch, while I would rather have Pink Floyd in MC. Or Stones in 2ch, with Beach Boys in MC. U2 in 2ch, and Led Zep in MC. Does anyone else feel this way? Just a comment.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
did anyone say marley's exodus?

or how about something from bill laswell (my life in the bush of ghosts was bill, huh?)

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper & Abbey Road (it's a tie for me)
The Doors - All their studio recordings (have L.A.Woman)
ELP - All up through Works I & II (have Brain Salad Surgery)

I know The Doors & ELP make it more than three recordings, but it seems that most of their recordings would lend themselves to hi-rez. OK, if I have to narrow it down to one each, here we go:

The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Doors - Strange Days
ELP - Trilogy

AricB

Second Unit
Rachel,
Thanks for the info, I'd have to check the website for depechemode, they had a press release ragarding some problem, but you may have a new pressing. I think its funny people want older material as well? I want something newer, recorded with todays technology, to see what a hirez recording can sound like. I've got GBYBR and Tommy and their good sounding, but im boring of them very fast. DSOTM is a little different, not quite so tired of it.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Radiohead-Ok Computer
Yes-Close to the Edge
King Crimson-Discipline

Also:
Rush-2112/Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, most of the "new music" I listen to, like the White Stripes, is so low-fi that I'm not sure how it would sound in Hi-Rez.

Maybe the new PJ Harvey album due in May will be a hi-rez candidate.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's nice, and surprising, to see so many Close To The Edge fans out there. Most of the people I know have never heard of it. I often wonder how good it would be had it been recorded using today's instruments and recording technology. Sorta like how good would Arnold Palmer have been with today's much improved clubs and golf balls. Then again, maybe it would have lost something as well. Best to leave well enough alone. Except m/c. We NEED that! Gene

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
Shriekback: Oil & Gold
Blue Oyster Cult: Secret Treaties
Loud Family: Plants & Birds & Rocks & Things

Very hard to limit to just three! Would also like to see any Radiohead, but especially The Bends.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Rog, Shriekback Oil & Gold? Priests and cannibals, unholy animals Robin, there's not a chance that will ever come out in hires!

Manus

Second Unit
Mine would be any Pink Floyd from 'Meddle' on , but particularly Wish you were Here. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin ( How bout Unledded ? )And Peter Gabriel's Us would be good too !
Current fave listens are 3 Doors Down : Away from the Sun and Porcupine Tree : In Absentia on Dvd-A.2 stunning discs !

Manus

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Iron Maiden: Powerslave or Number of Beast

Pink Floyd: The Wall

Tool: Laterlaus

Any Led Zep, Sabbath (Ozzy era), AC/DC or Van Halen would be welcome as well.

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog

Probably not, but no one said the list had to be realistic! :)

Forgot to mention that I would prefer multichannel on all...

AricB

Second Unit
only in stereo, but yes it is. Larry, your right, I dont think any of the white stripes albums would sound that good, especially the older ones. They are intentionally going for a stripped down raw sound similar to their older blues hero's, so why are older artists like that being spent so much time trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, when there are so many more current acts that have material much more easily converted to hirez and multichannel? got me...

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Because most fans of "new artists" would rather get the music for free. Us old farts who like "oldies" still spend money.

AricB

Second Unit
Ouch...:)

Im not saying britney spears or anything. Im 28, and havent ever downloaded a free song, and I'm a graphic artist who is pretty darn computer literate. I have some friends have given me, or that they've digitized for me, but their of bands that I wouldnt have bought anyway or if I liked them I would have bought them. I could dupe a cd just as easy, not much more if any more difficult than recording tape to tape, 15 years ago.

I'm talking artists like radiohead, nine inch nails, tool, david byrne, david bowie, modest mouse, all of these artists have a broad fan base, at least age wise, not necessarily in mass, but tend to have a semi intelligent fan base, that would probably be interested or can grasp the multi channel hi rez format. I dont mean the new cool thing, one hit wonder, I meant artists who are still making current albums using current technology, that should in theory be easier, more cost effective, and possibly produce better results than something recorded 30 years ago.

Think about if they take the time to remaster landmark albums like DSOTM, for all the future releases, that would probably take 5-10 years to build a sizeable library, since they take so long to rebuild from scratch. Im sure it didnt take that long to do Steely Dan's last 2 or Fleetwood Macs last?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks