What's new

What the !@$# (1 Viewer)

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
just bought a new dvd player and TV. philips recordable DVD and panny 50" plasma (same one as everyone on this site buys).

the video is working fine. I have HDMI for video from cable box and DVD to TV. I am running optical from my time warner box and digital co-ax from my dvd to my onkyo receiver (TX-DS777).

NO dolby digital sound. had it running fine on the cable box for a while, now it is not working.

also, very odd thing happened. I was in my receivers menu setup to try other audio inputs. To do this, I had to swtich my TVs video input to view the menu on the screen. while I was playing around in the menu, the dolby digital kicked on with the DVD sound. thought all was great, went back to HDMI to view the dvd, and the digital kicked off (still getting sound, just not DD). thought it was coincidence, so I did it again. same thing, when I switched video sources on the TV, DD kicked back in. Did this 4 or 5 times, and each time DD kicked in and out.

Whats the deal? what does my TVs input have to do with my receivers ability to properly decode an incommng audio signal from my DVD player?

Than after playing around with the DVDs audio settings, the cable box no longer comes through my receiver as DD. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
hooked up DVD player via component video, and everything is fine.

do you mean to tell me that if I use HDMI, I cannot send an audio signal from the device to my receiver?

do I need to go out and buy a HDMI switching receiver?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It kinda sounds like audio, being carried over the HDMI, was overriding the digital coax audio somehow. Since I don't have HDTV yet, I don't know much about this. I have read where folks stated that there wasn't much difference in the video, between HDMI and Component. Since you have to run digital coax with the HDMI anyway, I'd just use the component inputs, since they're working better for you, and not worry about HDMI, until you get a receiver that has the inputs for it.

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
That is what I am thinking as well.
problem is I have a DVR from time warner, 99% sure I need to use HDMI to record on the DVR.

anyone else have some suggestions. I would hate to tell my wife we need to buy a new receiver with HDMI switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks