What's new

What the...?!??!? ZOMBI 2 2 disc version NOT flagged for FILM (progressive) mode??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I meant PQ wise, wisea**. It has a 12 bit VIDEO D/A converter and the pic. is great when the disc is encoded correctly. Also I can force the FILM mode which some players can't do. This is not a case of the disc being misflagged. There are no flags to indicate FILM mode. If you had carefully read the initial post, I indicated that this disc was NOT encoded progressively. My player isn't misreading the info. at all. It's indicating VIDEO mode when the player is in AUTO mode. It's not say, "combing" when there are edits ala the Buffy sets, it's unwatchable in FILM mode which would be on any player where the player is forced into FILM mode. I know all about the flag vs. cadence reader issue. Sure this would look better on say Panny with faroujda, but my complaint was that the JVC's video mode is admittedly not the best, (it slaps 2 fielods together and softens the pic. with filtering...) and since this movie was shot on Film and edited on film, it should be encoded on the disc that way. Sheesh. Nice of you to just jump into a thread and attempt to correct me and go off the topic. Aren't there forum rules for that...? This was a post about a less than ideally authored disc, not about the merits of certain brands of DVD players.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
So how would this flagging issue show up on a widescreen set that does its own progressive scanning of whatever signal is sent through it?

Like a Loewe Aconda for instance?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If you ever watch film clips from say, a documentary in the supplement section of a dvd like the new "candyman", they are usually not encoded for 3/2 pulldown, (FILM MODE on prog. players...) and look inferior to the feature. (Also lower bit rate, non-anamorphic as well...) It depends on how good your sets internal line doubler is, going from 480i to 480P I assume if you don't have a pro. scan player.
And this is NOT a flagging issue. There are not incorrect flags. There are NO Flags telling the player to run in FILM mode. This is simply not encoded for FILM mode is all. Apparently The other Zombi disc is correctly done.
DVD Benchmark does a shootout that has a good section explaining all these issues.

:) D

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
All this time, I stayed away from the SS disc because of the contents of this thread. Well, Netflix has the SS version (and second disc of extras), so I figured it'd be a good way to give it a spin without buying it.

Well...it *is* flagged incorrectly (not as "film," 3/2 pull-down, etc. - incorrect in my book); however, my Panny RP-91 plays it in "auto-2" mode (my default set-up) perfectly - no combing whatsoever. This was a surprise, since the RP-91 is unforgiving with other mis-flagged DVDs (ex. the first print of Monty Python's Meaning of Life - Universal version). And in this "auto-2" mode, video supplements (ex. documentaries) also comb. So it's a little mystery why the film looked like gangbusters throughout.

Not to excuse SS's encoding choice, but for those interested, it looked *damn* good on a large screen.

I prefer the colors of the SS version over the less-saturated BU - but that's my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks