What the...?!??!? ZOMBI 2 2 disc version NOT flagged for FILM (progressive) mode???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Y'all...

Just got my Media blaster 2 disc set (I read this version had the slight edge in PQ...) popped it in and noticed continuous combing... I thought "What the crap..?" I always put my player in FILM mode when watching a film based disc as oppossed to leaving it in AUTO, this way I see any bad flag issues, and it is unwatchable. Had to watch in VIDEO mode, hence no 3/2 pulldown. What gives? This WAS shot and edited on FILM. Why not encoded progressively...??? GRR! ARGH!!! Is the sindle disc version, (Blue underground I believe, the same??? I'd rather have a progressively encoded version as my JVC player does not have motion adaptive deinterlacing yada, yada...

Strange, no...? Anyone else noticed this???

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Yep. Bugs the hell out of me. I'm wondering the same thing about the BU version.

3. Pat Donoh

Pat Donoh Auditioning

Yes, all of Shriek Show's releases are like this (incorrectly flagged).

Fortunately, Blue Underground's is done correctly. [​IMG]

4. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Maybe I should be asking this some where but what's the difference in how a disc is flagged? Its been a while since I bought any new hardware.....[​IMG]

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Whaaaaat???

I haven't purchased one or the other yet, but I've read a gazillion comparitive reviews thusfar, and this is the first I've heard of incorrect flagging on the Shriek Show disc. I count myself as lucky for having waited until now - mostly because I'm just not certain whether I like "Zombi" enough to make it a permanent part of the collection - but I was this close to heading over to Best Buy to pick up the Shriek Show version. And that despite my general admiration for Blue Underground, and preference for the slightly darker, less saturated look of their transfer. But the extras... [​IMG]

6. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

I can't believe no one mentioned it as well! I was going to buy it last week but they sold out. I'm not shocked that SS would put out an inferior product to BU, but I am shocked no one mentioned this important piece of info up until now! How could so many supposed horror geeks be asleep at the wheel? [​IMG] for shame!

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Would a Faroudja-based (DCDi) DVD player "fix" the problem?

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I think it has to do with Shriek Show's Media Blasters parentage. They started off with anime releases, and anime discs are usually flagged wrong. Suspicious minds would suggest that this is to allow them to double-dip with an improved progressive version down the line.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Is there any possibility that Dave got a wonky disc? I'm surprised that this has gone without mention until now (and a bit surprised that others aren't weighing in).

After closely reading the reviews of the "Extras" on the SS disc, I'm not really sure I'd prefer it anyway - no one's really proclaimed the documentary to be great shakes (they simply note its length and participants without much fanfare or enthusiasm), and the other stuff is just kitchen sink crap.

Plus, Blue Underground is an outfit I've come to trust and respect, much moreso than Media Blasters, and the look of their transfer from the screenshots I've seen is certainly preferable. I think I've made my decision.

10. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I picked up both. The Blue Underground disc is terrific in both picture and sound. Although its not technically a "Special Edition," its full roster of TV spots, trailers and stills does the business, especially as a hidden feature presents around 9 very entertaining trailers for other Fulci films. These seem much more relevant to the main feature than the assortment of Zombie trailers on SS.

If you pop over to DVDbeaver (SAVE THE BEAVER![​IMG] ) and take a look at their comparison, they show an overly saturated image for SS. While my very brief homemade comparison on my set did not reveal such a huge discrepancy in picture, the fact that Blue Underground is progressive helps make that the one I'll pop in in the future.

The extras on the SS set are mostly interviews conducted in Italy. I actually found them rather entertaining, but if you're not a big fan, they are not a deal-breaker.

For someone like you, Rich, the BU would be a fine choice.

11. Greg Patenaude

Hi, could you guys help me out. I just ordered SS version of Zombie but I don't think it's to late to cancel the order. I'm a little lost regarding this progressive scan thing and 'the dvd is flaged wrong'. Is it possible to explain this in a paragraph or two. Based on this information I might want to buy the BU version. Bottom line: I want the best version of Zombie. Also, how can you tell if your DVD player is a progresive scan DVD?

thanks

Greg

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Greg, simply put, the encoding on the disc must be properly flagged in order for the DVD player to do a "3/2 pulldown" ("film mode"). This converts a progressive video image (as opposed to an interlaced one) to the equivalent of 24 frames per second, just like a film projector. This provides the optimum image quality available for DVD. If the disc is not properly flagged for 3/2 pulldown, then you'll get the combing effects Dave refers to.

However, you won't notice much difference (if any at all) if you don't have a progressive scan capabilities both in your player and monitor (check the owner's manuals). But even if you don't have progressive-scan capabilities now, you almost certainly will the next time you upgrade! So, if you want the very best image quality for "Zombi", there's only one choice: Blue Underground.

[Of course, not having either disc, I'm assuming the BU version is correctly flagged. But BU is known for being a stickler for quality transfers, so I'd be very surprised to find that they got it wrong.]

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I don't think it's my copy, guys. It is not a periodic combing issue like say, The first few BUFFY sets which combed during edits, but the WHOLE time. A Faroudja based player helps, makes it more watchable but it is not a 3/2 pulldowned image, it is the player "guesstimating as to the movement between fields and approximating yes...?
    I want the pro. version. My player (JVC) has a tremendous FILM mode but a mediocre VIDEO mode
    If you have an interlaced TV, this is NOT an issue now, but one day... [​IMG]

Anyone wanna swap versions????

[​IMG] D

14. Greg Patenaude

Rich, thanks for the info. I cancelled my order and then ordered the BU version. I don't think my DVD is 'progresive scan' since the manual didn't say anything to that effect. For what its worth, I use a cheapo Toshiba 1800. I don't think my TV is non-interlaced either. Anyway, good to know for the future. I can guaranty that the next DVD and TV I buy will be progresive scan. Thanks again.

Greg

15. Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek Stunt Coordinator

alot of people seem to be moving to the BU version based on this now, can anyone confirm that the BU version is properly flagged?

16. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

JVCs are flag readers not cadence readers.

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Ummm, 1) Duh, I know that. 2) What does that have to do with anything,...?

18. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Then you also know that it's film mode can't be all that 'tremendous' if it's only a flag reader. That's why it combs on mis-flagged discs.

19. Greg J

Greg J Auditioning

I also have a PS JVC DVD player and have noticed a few mis-flagged discs. The best way I have dealt with them is to just take the DVD player out of progressive mode and watch them interlaced. No more combing. Problem solved.

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yeah, but no more smooooooth progressive-scan image either. [​IMG]