What's new

What the?!?! My Event Horizon and R1 Scream DVD are... ANAMORPHIC! (EDIT: probably not) (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmmm...I have the same UPC code. Playing on my computer with PowerDVD it goes to 4:3 and confirmed 4:3 on my Bravo D1 player, which pillarboxes all 4:3 content.

Rolando

Screenwriter
OMG!!!

I don't I will changing player after all...

I tested the DVD on another player and it is indeed NOT anamorphic. I apologize for the false alarm but the picture is just too good to be zoomed.

There is definitely some kind of scaling going on.

I have had this player for years now and I never seen it do something like this. I have a few non-anamorphic movies and it definitely DOES NOT do this with all movies.

I have the Van Helsing animated prequel and it is not enhanced and it looks horrible. if I try to use the player's zoom it's pretty good but you could definitely never mistake it for an anamorphic transfer. As I mentioned before it is not zoomed, it is like adding lines somehow because the image is definitely tall and "pulled up" when the TV aspect is 4:3 or played on a 4:3 tv. according to the TV it is receiving a 16:9 image.

I wish someone could come to my house and see the picture. I took some pics but they don't do it justice, I will gladly mail them to whoever wants.

Again, sorry for the false alarm but this is incredible.

My theory is that the movie IS anamorphic but maybe somehow incorrectly flagged so that 90% see it as 4:3 letter box. somehow the Malata discovered the extra resolution. I cannot imagine that this player could scale and create this resolution itself. this is by no means a top of the line player.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
A little excited? ;)

I don't know much about the Malata, but the Bravo D1 has a pretty good scaler. It's not entirely surprising a scaled image would pass muster.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Could you drop the disc into your PC? You'd probably be able to identify it as anamorphic in PowerDVD or something very easily.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Travis: thanks for the clues, I'll check it out to see what version I have. It's several years old, doesn't match the details for most versions on the net because the package is "Canadian"...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well dang... I was really hoping they switched to OAR. O'well...

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
I would love a decent NTSC version of both Scream and Event Horizon, I wonder if there are any good R3 or Jap R2 versions out there?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Yea I know and thats what I meant. It had already been a long day...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks