What's new

What the hell is going on..."Google Deutschland"? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Every time I open up Google for the last three days or so it opens up into Google Deutschland & there is a prompt to go to "Google in English" that was never there before...virus? Malware? Trojan? Odd Google setting that I am unaware of?

I wanted to add that I have deleted that troublesome Google link I use in Firefox several times and added the proper Google.com link and it keeps reverting to the Google Deutschland link.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

It worked....but perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying, it opened up in Google English so to me it "worked".
However I have tried this before and it works fine but after a while it reverts to Google Deutschland. We'll see how this goes.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
OK, IE has this same problem and when I try to use MSN search to find Google it always sends me to the German version of Google....does Firefox use IE for browsing in anyway? Could this be a problem with IE and not Firefox or Google?

How do I repair my connection/use of the Domain Name System (not the way it works I guess but I am a novice) if this is indeed the case....or am I totally on the wrong path?

OK...this link Solved: GOOGLE REDIRECT in the USA - Tech Support Guy Forums tells a similar story...any advice on how I can fix this problem?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:

Did you turn off your DSL or cable modem and detach it from your computer for about 30 minutes to see if you IP address resets?

Also, after you have done the above go Start > Programs > Accessories > Comand Prompt and at the command prompt type in IPCONFIG/release and then IPCONFIG/renew at the next prompt. Then type in exit at the next prompt and go back to your main screen.

Another thing you can try too is to download our toolbar for the forum which includes a Google toolbar along with direct links to the forums on our site.

Parker

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
That's what is frustrating about this Parker, I did everything that the various websites posting this problem suggested and nothing, also I have the toolbar and it still sends me to the German site. I have written Google about this and will wait and see what (if anything) they say about it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:

I did a little research on this that I found there was a worm called the P2Load.a worm in 2005 that would redirect Google to a German look alike site. You might see if running your anti-virus or malware program takes care of this problem. Or research to see if something you can run to look for an remove it if round.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have run Mcafee and Malwarebytes anti-malware software and it has found nothing so far but I will certainly look into it and let you know what comes up, thank you Parker, I appreciate your detective work into this annoying problem of mine.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, it no longer redirects me to Germany..in fact Google won't load at all no matter what browser I use, the IP address loads but every time I try to go to the home page or Gmail it absolutely will not load, the various browsers tell me
...what the hell is going on?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
did you try what I posted in the other thread in general? - reply there...

Hydrah

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Musgrove
The problem is with Google not with your systems. My computer is new, out of the store, as of the day before yesterday and my language of choice is English. I have the same Deutschland problem as you and my software is as clean as you can get it. The problem is not on Google.ca just .com but on .ca you lose the benefit of the dropdown list of suggested topics that's found when you begin typing in a subject.

If anyone knows how I can get this dropdown list on .ca I would appreciate hearing from you.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Don't recall what language it was, but my Google page was coming in on somethong other than my native tongue the last few days.
Trouble is, it's hard to trouble shoot when all you have to work with is what amounts to gibberish.
But, I finally stumbled across the correct drop down which is when I found an unexpexted choice, Elmer Fuddi!

Way cool!

Seawch de Web, you scwewy wabbit.

dthompson2unl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I had this same problem. In my case, the hosts file was the culprit.

Eric_L's post of 3/16/08 contains the link to the solution. Thanks, Eric.

Foxx88

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I found what is causing the problem because I had it too. Your Malwarebytes program probably wasn't updated. The virus is called Trojan.FakeAlert.N

Go to RUN type in REGEDIT, Registry Editor will open. Follow these steps

Open folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Then SOFTWARE
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Run

You should see three in there. DELETE the iovdsgxn file. Hope this helps

Brian31

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Stusalitus
RE: Problems with google redirecting/language in searches/Google Deutschland

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=6df7e15519290612&hl=en

by: stealthjunk
I had almost the exact same problem today and none of my anti-spyware programs (SpyBot, AdAware, MalwareBytes, Housecall) could fix it. Fortunately, I found the solution on another board. As a little bit of background, viruses sometimes will alter your "hosts" file, which is basically a file that controls the redirecting for your browsers (specifically, this file makes it faster for your computer to convert URLs into the relevant IP addresses by having a shortcut list of IP addresses instead of having to look them up when you type in the URL).

Anyway, enough background, here's what you need to do to fix:

(1) Click START > RUN > and type in "C:windowssystem32driversetchosts"
(2) When prompted, open the HOSTS file in either Notepad or Wordpad
(3) Delete all the lines of IP addresses in the text document except for "127.0.0.1 localhost".

If you find several lines of IP numbers other than localhost in your hosts file, then this is almost definitely your problem and will be fixed right away. If not, then this probably isn't the issue, but it's worth a look.

Let me know how it goes -- best of luck!
9 of 16 people found this answer helpful. Did you?
Yes

---------------------
stealthjunk's post on clearing the hosts file extra data worked for me to remove the "go to google deutschland" from the main google webpage. i first exited all programs and web browsers, then i clicked start > run > type cmd (then press enter to get the command console), then type cdwindowssystem32driversetc (then press enter), then type edit hosts (press enter), then scroll down and delete the extra junk except the localhost 127 line (there was like over 50 lines of other hosts in there), then press ALT-F for File then press S to save, then ALT-F then X to exit the editor, now type exit (to exit the cmd program). Now just to be safe i restarted my computer and started my firefox browser and my google homepage was back to normal. I didnt have to type any of this here, but, I live by the golden rule to do to others as I would want them to do to me, and I'd want someone to confirm how to get rid of that redirect problem, and they sure did, thanks guys!
PS: if you cannot find the hosts file, the virus probably made it hidden and read-only, to undo that, once u get into cdwindowssystem32driversetc folder, type this: attrib -s -h -r -a hosts (then press enter), now you can continue with cleaning up the hosts file, and remember it is not a Text file, there is no extension to it, just hosts (not hosts.txt).
-------------
Brian Stusalitus
04/20/2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks