What the heck happened to my Netscape browser?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Leo_P, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

First off, I've changed nothing on my PC since yesterday.
    Anyway, this morning I click on my Netscape 7.1 desktop icon and for the first time ever, it asks me to choose a profile. Then I had to supply my screen name and password.
    So I finally get on and it's like I'm a brand new user and ALL of my settings and bookmarks are gone![​IMG]
    The settings I don't care so much about (even though it's a PITA), since I can always play around with those. But, where the hell are my bookmarks!? I had stuff bookmarked that took forever to find.[​IMG]
    Are my bookmarks in a folder somewhere on my PC? How come Netscape seems to have "re-installed" itself?

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

That often happens when Netscape didn't close appropriately from the previous session. Mozilla does that on occasion as well. Normally, exiting out, confirming that Netscape has indeed closed (by looking at the Windows processes, NOT applications) and restarting it brings it back for me.

Nothing should have changed regarding your preferences, though. That one I can't help you with.

Hey, it's Windows. Rebooting will fix everything! [​IMG]

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

You might be able to find the data and copy it into your new profile. With Mozilla, which should be similar to Netscape, user profiles are stored under Win2k in the following path:
    C:Documents and SettingsUser NameApplication DataMozillaProfiles
    You'll have to poke around a bit in the subdirectories, but you should be able to find the old and new profiles by looking at the various file dates and examining bookmarks.html. Once you determine which is which, just copy the data from the old to the new one and things should be as they were. You can also use this method for copying your settings from one PC to another.

4. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I'm S.O.L.[​IMG]
    Keith, I looked in that folder and it only has the bookmarks I put in today. Everything else is gone. Oh well. Maybe I should start using IE a little more.:b
    I just wonder what happened...

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

http://www.opera.com instead of IE.

I believe all Mozilla-esque browsers save their bookmarks in a file called bookmarks.html - do a search on your computer for files with that name and see what you can find. You might get lucky and find your old one.

Probably not, but it's not entirely impossible. [​IMG]

I would also suggest backups of the bookmarks file in the future, if only backups to a second location on your hard drive.

A program like Second Copy might be useful. It does just that, allows you to schedule a file copy so you have backups of system files.

You could even combine something like second copy with Network Neighbourhood pro. NNpro allows you to map an ftp server as a windows shared drive. Combined with second copy you can backup over FTP to a server somewhere if you have an account on an isp or something. Of course, that is the advanced option... and neither program is free. [​IMG]

But anyway, you should manually backup the bookmarks file occasionally, and certainly before ever updating the browser etc.