What's new

What the heck happened to Monk? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I remember there being a big push for this show on USA/ABC and then I haven't heard anything since the beginning of the year. Is it dead? I think Tony Shaloub is great. Thanks.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Man, I wish they would move it from the death zone it is on now (10/9c on Fridays).

Man, was this ever a good episode though. They managed to get some great comic scenes from both Ted Levine (as he reflects morosely on Monk's demise) and Bitty Schram (as she outdrinks some college kids). I don't know why this clicks with me so well, but I laughed my head off.

"He was a thirsty victim." :laugh:

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Loved the new episode too! The humor is rather subtle and low-key, but it's delivered in such a straight, deadpan way it would register with most audiences. In lesser hands, they'd exploit Monk's OCD with exaggerated mannerisms or horrid overracting, but thankfully Shalhoub is too smart for that.

If I had any complaints, it's that I wish they'd give Ted Levine more to do, and ditch the bland Randy Newman song...there was nothing wrong with the original theme music.

Re: the next episode--I can't believe we're two episodes in and already getting a repeat (where Monk solves a case on a plane)! They showed that one about three weeks, prior to the second season's premiere. Ah well, I'll probably watch it again anyways.

"I'm not a drug dealer."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
ditch the bland Randy Newman song...there was nothing wrong with the original theme music.
Hey, I figure that's a pretty good Randy Newman song. Maybe not good enough to be on "Bad Love" or "Good Old Boys", but it fits the show and is entertaining in its own right. Besides, wasn't there just a thread about how the theme song was a lost art.

Anyone else notice that Ron Underwood directed the episode? Not that it was a particularly outstanding job of direction or anything, just worth noticing that the budget has apparently increased during the second season with the move to LA.

(Or that Pluto Nash knocked Underwood's career back fifteen years, to where it was pre-Tremors)

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
About the time slot: In NY it's repeated at 10:00am on Saturday.

About the theme song: The original was better, at least in my opinion.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I caught this show for the very first time last week. The "Airplane" episode. This was just too hilareous.

"Pete and Repeat got in a boat...":D

I'm gonna try to see more of this show.:emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I like the Randy Newman opening, it just fits so well. But, then again, so did the other opening, so what do I know. :)

I can't get enough of 'MONK', it's hilarious viewing! :laugh:

That episode 'Mr. Monk goes to Mexico' had me crying! :laugh:

The show's been said to be making fun of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but it actually shows it in a positive light, Monk uses his disorder to solve crimes and help people. That couldn't be more positive IMO.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The show's been said to be making fun of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but it actually shows it in a positive light, Monk uses his disorder to solve crimes and help people. That couldn't be more positive IMO.
Not only that, it shows him working to overcome his disorder when necessary. And when you have so much affection for the character, t's hard to laugh at him. More a type of gentle laughing in sympathy with him.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
While there are lots to enjoy with Monk (like ordering multiple glasses of expensive scotch to even out the liquid levels at the bar), some of its mysteries are really too obvious. This epsiode was a record though -- I figured out pretty much what happened before the first commercial. My friend's father did as well.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I think most of the fun is figuring out whodunit before Monk does. It's kind of an ego stroke.

This has to be one of my new favorite shows. I missed it the first season, but decided to try it, because of the hype. I guess marketing works.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched all the episodes of season 2 from the marathon 3 weeks, and this show is hilarious at the little moments.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
2/13/04 "Monk and the Captain's Wife"

Damn, this show is hilarious, even with the dramatic overtones of the captain's wife involved in sniper-influenced auto collision.

I almost lost it when Monk was running down the garbage truck, scaring the hell out of the garbagemen he encountered at the start of the episode, and then jumping on the truck and chucking bags of garbage on the street. The scene was comic genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks