What the difference between DTS and DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Odegard, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Is their a difference? I was looking at the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over and I think it said DTS. Is this just as good as DVD-A?

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Matt,

Welcome to the forum. In our Primer you will find much of the information like the one you're asking for, e.g. here.

In short: DTS is an audio format for film music, has specific surround- and other spatial channels and is compressed.

DVD-A is for audio only and is not compressed. A real audio-freak wouldn't want to listen to compressed music. Only during the watching of movies. Not if it's not necessary.

Cees

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It is my understanding that DTS CD format essentially became DVD-A. The HFO DVD/CD is still one of the best done DTS mixes I've heard.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No. DVD-A is, as I said, lossless and while DTS fought to be used for DVD-A, they failed, and rightly so since their format is very lossy indeed. MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) is used on DVD-A and theoretically should yield a result identical to the fully uncompressed masters.

DTS CD is sort of a "fake" CD that tricks a cd player into playing it, and requires a digital output to feed the data to a dts decoder. It utilizes the same DTS that is used on DVD video. I beleive DTS was trying to come up with a lossless format for DVD-A but they didn't make it, Meridian had it in the bag.

Again, there is tons of confusion here as I just realized when I did a couple quick searches. I found one site (http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/aud...ats/dts_audio/) that was just flat out wrong. Perhaps outdated, but perfect evidence that one shouldn't take ANYTHING online as the hard-fast truth unless from a clearly official source. (not even me [​IMG] )