What's new

What the deal with the "Mr. Brown" Reservoir Dogs DVD? (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
keep pickin' up those 'browns' people, makes my 'orange' all the more 'limited' ;)
ps. actually I bought Mr

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Got to my local Best Buy around 4:00 today to find them all sold out of Mr. Brown. They had two shelves full of everything else, but no Mr. Brown to be seen. It's all good though, because I did manage to get my second choice, Mr. Pink!

AdamZ

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah My BB did not have any Mr. Brown but a ton of Pink and my Circuit City was sold out of all colors

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
My local DVD shop (DVD Wave) said that the brown DVDs were only sent to retailers in 5-packs (with one of each colour). The other 4 colours could apparently be ordered separately. They had not received their order yet as they were having trouble getting the 5-packs (since most people had been looking for the brown ones). When I checked a couple of Future Shops later in the day, they each had tons of the brown ones (more even than the other 4 colours).

Looks like FS has been hogging Mr. Brown.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
The Circuit City I work at got 5 of each color. When I got there at noon to do my shopping, there was only 1 Mr. Blonde left, 2 Browns, and 4 or 5 of each of the others. However, 4 of the 5 Browns were bought by employees.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I simply cannot find ANY copies available of Mr. Aquamarine and Mr. Burnt Sienna!!
Don't tell me ALL of these colors have been sold already, dammit! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I bought Mr. Pink because it's FRICKIN' STEVE BUSCEMI! (guess who I'm a fan of?)
Anyway, my local BB had no brown or white, a couple of the orange, and a ton of pink. So I guess in my area I have the limited one, in the sense that no one's buying it. :D

TysonK

Agent
I have to commend Artisan for the marketing strategy for the different covers particularly the limited Mr. Brown. For god's sake, I got to my nearest BB early this morning just to get the brown cover. I never do this. I'm still wondering how limited (quantities) the Mr. Brown's are. It would have been great if the Tarantino signatures was real..

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Tyson: You're not the only one apparently. I would not have thought this buzz would have mattered so much but reports seem to indicate that the Brown covers were in high demand in most of the big stores today. I guess we'll be seeing them show up on ebay sooner or later :).
Given that my copy showed up,(ironically which was Brown, though I just ordered it when it showed up on Amazon a long while ago - the covers don't particularly interest me, suffice to say that someone needs to learn photoshop a little better) ;) I finally took some time to check out the whole film tonight after just sampling a few scenes earlier in the week.
I think the problems with the transfer have been slightly exagerrated (IMHO), sure the colors are slightly muted but the transfer is immaculate in detail. I was quite surprised, given the age and budget of the film. I did tweak the color settings slightly via my DVD player (mainly a slight adjustment to the black level), but overall (even without the adjustment) the transfer was very pleasing to me, I really don't think this should be a deal breaker for those of you who are looking to purchase the film (btw I was viewing this on a ISF-calibrated Pioneer Elite 510HD). The dialog levels were a little low to my ear, but aside from that I had a great time revisiting this title again after so long.

TysonK

Agent
I agree with the transfer. I really saw nothing wrong with it. With regard to the cover art, it was pretty weak. You can definitely see a halo around the image.

Anybody else notice alot of fluff with the special features? Not a whole lot.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I also thought the transfer really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The black levels definitely could have been better, but i'm content with it.
I thought the openings of the interview segments were horrible . The interviews themselves were great, but, ugh!! the openings were sooooooooo cheesy!. What was with the Chris Penn segment? Who thought it'd be 'cool' to pretend the interview was held in a truck and then 'fake' the camera movements to pretend the truck was hitting bumps?
I felt embarrassed for the makers of the supplements
~Jason

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
My BB had one Brown (which I purchased) Many pinks and one or two whites. thats all. Inside the brown case there is a brown pamphlet with a little blurb from the director thanking you for buying the limited brown edition, and with a couple of quotes of his from the film. Do the other colors come with different versions of this??

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, the Mr. Pink quotes inside are:

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?" and "You're acting like a first year !@#$ thief, I'm acting like a professional." and the booklet with Mr. Pink pictures and his profile.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i hate to be nitpicky (and i'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere) but does this really count as a two-disc set.
i mean, yeah...it's two dvd's...but the only difference is one is oar, one is mar.
i mean...c'mon...
oh well, the movie still rocks. the xfer was okay...the only thing i noticed was a slight greenish tint during the warehouse scenes, but i suppose that's because the walls were green! :D

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator
At futureshop in Canada, Mr. Brown was the most plentiful, and also $2 cheaper than the others!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Future Shop I went to yesterday had plenty of all of 'em...seemed to be lowest on Mr. Blonde. ???

No interest in the brown cover...looks like...well you know.

I wanted Mr. Pink...my wife wanted Mr. Orange...so we compromised and got Mr. White. LOL

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
i hate to be nitpicky (and i'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere) but does this really count as a two-disc set.
Yes. Forget that the crappy Pan & Scan version is on disc 2, it has a significant amount of extras. A fan of OAR will want to view the extras on Disc 2, even if they don't watch that version of the movie, and an idiot will want to view the extras on Disc 1, although they'll probably ignore the "stupid black bars" version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks