What the "beep" is wrong with this stupid Tosh DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Apr 18, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I have a widescreen tv and a Toshiba 3750 prog dvd player and all my 2.35:1 movies do not show the entire picture! And I'm not talking about the black bars cus I know that if the OAR is more than 1.85 I'll still get bars.
    NO, I'm talking about the entire picture is not on the screen[​IMG] Only way for me to get the whole picture is to use the "zoom out" feature on the dvd remote control.
    That's bull!!! I was watching the fifth element and at the begining, in the presidents office, it cut some background guys completely off the screen!!! And when lilu is out on the ledge and they check for her id, the computer screen in the cop car the words are getting cut off the screen!!
    The zoom is off and it does this naturally it cuts the picture off by default. There's no telling what I side images I have been missing because of this crap dvd player!!
    Has anybody else experianced this? I dont know why it does that....But if anybody were to ask me rather or not to buy a toshiba dvd player id say[​IMG]

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It would seem that much of the problem described is also related to the TV and the amount of overscan you have on it. Typically,rptv's and direct view sets use about 5% on both sides and the top and bottom so it normally chops things off.

As well, not all DVD film transfers adhere to their original theatrical aspect ratio. Most 2.35:1 films are probably closer to 2.20 or 2.15 ...

Regards

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I thought that it might be the TV at first , but then I remembered that it did happened on my 36" tosh too. But now you say that all tvs do it a lil bit huh? Man I cant wait for gregg to come out here, if I can get the rest of these bums([​IMG]) to commit. I wish gregg or Mike would do my set since Mike thought gregg. Yoda has more knowledge than Luke ya know.. [​IMG]
    by the way the set is a samsung tantus 65hcl something or other....