What SVS model(s) do you have and what's your fav movie/music experience with it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Just wanted to get a picture on how much fun you guys are having with your SVS subs and some of those grand moments that you might have had while owning one. I have really too many great moments to mention with my 22-31CS..but one that sticks out in my mind is how it handled the complex bass passages in Monsters Inc. It showed the tightness and quickness, not to mention deep freq. response that so many of us crave and marvel at when done right (as the director intended). I'm grinning all the time with mine and only powering it with 120w amp and no filters or addons. I can only imagine what you lucky guys are getting with much more powerful amps! [​IMG]
    thanks for reading! [​IMG]

2. AndrewGault

AndrewGault Agent

I just recently got a PC Plus 20-39.

Favorite movies to demo it... Attack of the Clones, Fellowship of the Ring, Jurassic Park III, Titan AE, Toy Story 2, and Blade 2.

All of these have superb bass.

3. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

16-46PC+. "Soldier" with Kurt Russell - outstanding bass.

- Bill

4. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

20-39cs+, Carver m500

I love some of monsters, inc. too

"Hey Fred! Good Morning!"
    "Code 53-19!"
    "what was that?!?!"

5. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Dual 20-39CS+ tubes.

Favorite demo for brute strength (as opposed to musical subtlety) is still the end of Fight Club, at reference volume with the bass 5-6 dB hot.

6. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I just got the 22-31PCi, and so far my favorite DVD scene is the Normandy Beach Landing in Saving Pvt. Ryan....truly intense!

7. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

20-39cs+

Music:

Ani Difranco - Shameless, Napoleon

Madonna - What it Feels Like For a Girl
    At around 1:10 - 1:30 the bass makes my chair wiggle like crazy!

Rage Against the Machine - Fistful of Steel
    Tool - The Grudge
    Alison Krauss - Stay

lots more....

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

SVS 25-31PCi ...
    Some glorious LFE & 5.1 moments:
    5.1 Animation Demo's
    ------------------------------
    1) "Toy Story 2" DVD - from the Toy Box Set
    ... a) THX Demo
    ... b) Toy Story 2 INTRO - until "Game Over" Screen
    2) "ICE AGE" DVD
    ... a) INTRO until Scrat is 'stomped' by one of the migrating animals.
    3) "ANTZ" DVD
    .... a) INTRO up to 'Be the Ball' scenes
    Blockbuster DVD Movies
    ----------------------
    1) "Star Wars II - Attack of the Clones"
    .... a) INTRO
    .... b) Asteroid Chase
    .... c) Arena Battle / Clone to the Rescue
    2) "The Mask of Zorro"
    .... a) INTRO
    .... b) Steal the Map
    .... c) Mine explosion
    3) "Jurassic Park I (dts) & III (dts)"
    .... a) Dino stomps!
    .... b) John Williams Movie Score
    5.1 Music Concerts
    -------------------------
    1) Diana Krall - Live in Paris (dts)
    2) The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" (dts)
    3) Kylie Minogue "Live in Sydney" (dts)
    Specials 5.1 DVD's
    ----------------
    1) "We've Got the Whole World Listening" from Dolby Labs
    .... a) Includes 7 -"Aurora, Rain, City, Train, Canyon, Egypt & Game" Dolby Digital 5.1 Movie Trailers
    .... b) DD-5.1 Music "Allegro in D Major" - Pacific Guitars
    ........1a) Four Guitars, (1) Front RT, (2) Front LT, (3) Rear SUR RT & (4) Rear SUR LT
    2) "Video Essentials"
    .... a) Montage of Video & 5.1 Audio Demo Material
    3) IMAX - "The Living Sea" dts
    .... a) Music by Sting
    .... b) Ocean waves / Coast Guard Training
    Phil

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

20-39PC+

The Haunting - DTS.

Grand moment: A halogen light upstairs unscrewed itself from its base and pulled the plug from the outlet.

Ed

10. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

I've had my 20-39 cs with the 700w Samson amp for about a year and a half now. I'll second most every movie mentioned so far, and also include the Pod Race on TPM.
    As far as music, I grin ear to ear every time I play St. Louise is Listening by Soul Coughing - from the album El Oso. Turn it up loud.... that's what kick drums should sound like. I think I'll go listen to it now.[​IMG]

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    don't forget U-571.

but really, sometimes the "biggest" difference is not in terms of "wham-bam boom", but just in filling out the "missing" bass in relatively quiet scenes. e.g. I'm now following Star Trek: Voyager on TV, and there's a big difference between plain old TV speakers and my HT system (with SVS25-31PCi tuned to 22) playing a simple thing like a scene of Voyager flying by, or inside the engine room. the low-bass throbbing is SOOOO much more imposing with the SVS; with TV speakers you hear a low rumble, with the SVS you FEEL it.

12. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I've got a 25-31PCi

I think the best bass demo I have is MechAssault on the Xbox. That game has some ridiculous bass. Even with my main speakers playing below normal TV volumes, the living room still shakes during large battles.

As far as movies are concerned (in addition to the ones mentioned already), I really like how seamlessly it handles Fantasia 2000. It blends in beautifully with my other speakers.

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

20-39CS+, Samson 1000 amp

Music:
    Glen Phillips - Abulum (DVD-A)
    Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull (DVD-A)
    Erykah Badu - Baduizm (CD)

Movies:
    Fight Club
    SW:AOTC
    The Haunting (DTS)
    The Fellowship Of The Ring: Extended Edition (DTS)

14. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

20-39PCi
    I agree with almost all of these choices and would like to add
    Titan A.E.
    Ice Scene
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Invasion of the Beast in the small cottage
    Reign of Fire
    Basically any part with the Dragons in it [​IMG]
    Music-wise:
    'Peter Gabriel - Up' album

15. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I think we've all established our SVS' can pound. But too many people who are on the outside looking in think that's all they are good for after reading most of our posts.

In all honesty, what impresses me most about my SVS is the accuracy, tonality, and fidelity. It passes on the source material very faithfully. Even at low volumes, it continues to impress. Nuance changes in bass tone and texture are immediately evident and clear.

I was watching a movie recently on my HT system where the scene transitioned from inside a nightclub to an adjacent room with the door closed. The bass immediately went from pounding and in your face to muffled and distant. You might say "big deal, that's not saying much" but I'm telling you people it sounded EXACTLY like it does in real life when you go from a nightclub into, say, the restroom. You can barely hear the mid range and treble, but the bass is still audible, but is now distant and muffled and booming. It was UNCANNY how well my SVS played that passage.

Has anyone noticed the recent increase of "audiophiles" who are getting into twin Ultras / CS+ / PC+ and integrating them into some very high end systems? Often they are replacing some damn good names in subs that are known for their musicality and fidelity. And invariably, the end result is the same - the SVS is better for both HT AND music than the sub it replaced. And judging by the length and content of their posts and their equipment lists, these guys seem VERY finicky about bass accuracy, musicality, and seamless integration with the mains, often experimenting with placement, and phase, and x-over for days on end to get just the right sound.

IMHO, the best way to describe SVS' philosophy is to offer performance that is WAY out of proportion to the cost of the product - in other words GREAT VALUE. It's world class bass within the reach of the regular Joe's who still think dropping $800 on a sub is a really big deal and hell yes they expect something pretty darn special for that much coin and lo and behold, SVS delivers in spades. How refreshing is THAT? Very, I'd say.

Regards,

Ed

16. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

20-39PCi

Intro to Toy Story 2
    Super Speedway
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Contact ("Okay to go" and Launch)
    Fellowship of the Ring

17. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I love all of the standards, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings but there are a couple that really stand out.
    Monsters Inc. wins out for knocking me on my back at both the "Hey Fred, Good Morning" and "23-19" passages. My 2039 PCi is next to verticle blinds that actually blew aside from those. After the sock explosion I turned it way down for fear of being kicked out of my apartment!
    Musically there's one disc that stands out that I never hear mentioned. The Score for American Beauty has some great, musical, sustained bass that you don't really here in the movie. I love that score but was really shocked the first time I heard it with my PCi. It was the first passage to rattle the cuttlery in my kitchen drawers.

18. AndrewGault

AndrewGault Agent

I wish I could get music to come through mine. (Stereo)
    My receiver doesn't allow me to. (Pioneer Elite 29TX)
    I could always run it through the sub... and then into the receiver... But I don't really wanna do that. (BetterCables are expensive!)

19. johnathan

johnathan Stunt Coordinator

Posted on the spot but it pertains to the subject here.
    If you tried to tell me that this would make a difference in my whole sound experience I would have laughed! But setting all of my speakers to small and letting the 20-39+ handle all of the bass and the LFE has done just that. Also I don't know how but with this setting my Front/Center / Surrounds sound so much more crisp and precise.
    I don't know how maybe the way they muddied up the bass was blocking their range or it could be that all of the power from the receiver for them is freed up for the midrange and the highs ?
    I can say that all of the bass this sub produces meaning the full range or sound spectrum is astonishing ! I am hearing at least 2 to 3 times the range of my system pre SVS 20-39+ .This has helped with my sound imaging also.
    Toy Story 2 is so much more rich and encompassing than I ever knew. I watched Gladiator and for the first time heard a level of definition that I didn't know was there !
    Part of it could be the receiver works better this way I don't know ? It's a Sony STR-DE925 just an off the shelf model nothing special.One thing is for sure now with the Sub calibrated you can hear all of the separate little nuances and out of no where Boom a sound wave hits you and you just have to shake your head.
    My old Sub seemed to over exaggerate a muffled sound of only a few notes this seems to use the whole scale and really surprises me !
    I don't know anything about technical sound terms I cant tell you the difference between vibereto or a muffeleto ha ha. But you do owe it to your self and your viewers to give one of these a try in your system.
    I still haven't even tried to listen to it above setting 3 on my volume dial. When calibrating with V.E. I had to set my dial to 4 to achieve 75 db. So that should give you a hint of my sound level. Up date 4 sounds awesome !
    Believe me this has breathed new life into my tired speaker system.I think I can live with my old Bose 301's for a while longer now ha ha.
    Two of them are over 10 years old.
    Thanks Tom V. And SVS Steve for a great product ! Wow
    Hey if any one knows what I am talking about with the whole system improvement please join in and explain it !
    Just wanted to add we watched LOTR again tonight and man seemed like a wind blowing thru the living room. Let me also say my wife hasn't asked me to turn it down yet. That is a testament to the quality of sound ! John:b

20. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

25-31 PCi

Toy Story 2 intro.
    Blade II. This movie has every, major type of movie bass in it:
    - Explosion bass
    - Bullet bass
    - Fighting bass (punching, etc.)
    - Mood bass (to add tension to quiet scenes)
    - Club bass (cool techno scene and hip-hop scene)

- Note: no polka bass...

My wife was out of town and I invited a few of the guys over to excercise my system!