What SVS is best for mvies??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Fineberg, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

Guess what search function is down. Anyhow can you tell I am ready to buy an SVS. I just need some info on them. What is the best one for stricly movies. I would like the 25-31 because of it's pricetag but am willing to shell out some more for the 20-39 if that is more apropriate. I just don't want to get one and then wish I had deeper bass(although I doubt that will ahppen) So any suggestions would be great. right now my room is tinY!! 11x11 but i will eventually move it into a much larger room(size TBA)
    Thank you for the great help on this forum. I never feel bad about asking on here cause everyone is SO helpful.
    -B

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Brian,
    I just went for my third SVS sub, the 25-31 PC....
    It's in a room that's similar to your room size, and it fills the room with some serious bass!!!! This will probably be more than enough for that room....
    I have 2 20-39 CS subs in my main theater, and can't say enough good things about how these subs perform, and really enhance the Home Theater Experience!!!!
    Try a search on SVS subs in the hardware section.....
    Go for it!!!!
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I'll just say that there's no reason to worry that the 25-31 will be inadequate. I've heard both the 20-39 and the 25-31 (playing the Toy Story 2 intro) and really they're more alike than they are different. Yes, there's a tad more extension with the 20. But they're both a tremendous improvement over anything you can find at your local B&M store for the same money. If your budget or room or SAF are pushing you towards the 25, then go for it.
    The only folks I can imagine not being fully satisfied by the 25-31 are those who already have a well-built low-tuned DIY sub or an SVS 16-46.

4. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Or you can play it safe, and go for the 16-46. With that beast you are not going to miss any bass in any movie that is out or coming out.
    I can't wait for mine to get here..........5 days and counting...
    ------------------
    Home Theater Page

5. Mike Ilano

Mike Ilano Extra

This is the reason why I ordered the 16-46,from all these posts about SVS subs.I just picked up the last copy of TPM at Fry's it's just too bad all my stuff is packed since were moving [​IMG] I'll just have to wait.......
    BTW what other movies would be good to demo?
    Mike
    Our HT: http://home.att.net/~milano707/MigzHT.html

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Brian,
    the *best* sub for films would be one that can play all the recorded signal on the DVD without altering it(filtering/compressing)at the highest levels you'll use.
    Extension wise--- 25-31cs/S700 combo(or 25-31pc) would be fine for 98% of DVDs.(extension wise). A 20-39 would be good for 99%...and a 16-46 would be good for 99.9%. (not really...but a good indicator [​IMG] )
    Output wise...mush depends on the maximum levels you'll be wanting to push your system too on those action oriented DVDs?
    Since you may be moving to a bigger room in the future...you might consider a 25-31cs/S700 combo now. This would allow a very inexpensive upgrade path for you later(adding a second 25-31 for 369). We can also custom tune a 25-31cs for you. If you like...we could lower the tuning point down to the 22hz range. Obi(Robert George)has a pair of these custom tuned 25-31s and he seems to enjoy them.
    By tuning the 25-31cs a little lower, you'll trade off a bit of maximum output capability in the 27-40hz range(just a tic)...but the increased extension might be worth it to you. In an 11/11 room. A custom tuned 25-31 would probably offer strong extension down to the 17-19hz range. A stock(25hz tuned)25-31 would offer extension down to the 21-22hz range in your room I think. (the smaller the room, the lower a given subwoofer will extend).
    As Jack mentioned, adding a subsonic filter could be worth considering if you want to be able to crank up a DVD like TPM to near reference levels and not worry about the subs being strained. Both of the EQs we sell have built in adjustable subsonic filtering...and Chris Hoppe sells a nice little box that he can customize for your exact needs.(for about $60 I think).
    Let me know if you have any other questions Brian,
    TV

7. Brian Fineberg

WOW!! Awesome responses guys thank you SOOO much!! I think I may just get the 25-31 custum tuned as obi has it down to 22. That would be great. Is there a charge for custom tuning?? Anyway. I thhink that is the rout I am going. Now to see if I want a cs or ps. I hope my extra amp lying around will do these subs justice. I actually ahev to go searching for them! hehe. Anyhow thanks again for the info you have been more than courtious and helpful I will let you know the ultimate outcome!!
    -B

8. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

If I remember correctly, the 25-31PC cannot be custom tuned below 25Hz since the built-in amp would physically interfere with the port.

9. Brian Fineberg

Oh I was reffering to custom tune the cs 25-31. Sorry for the confusion. It is the one TomV had suggested.
    -B

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>WOW!! Awesome responses guys thank you SOOO much!! I think I may just get the 25-31 custum tuned as obi has it down to 22. That would be great. Is there a charge for custom tuning?

11. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Brian,
    I live just up the road from you in Woonsocket and I would be happy to demo my dual 25-31's/samson700 combo for you! I think once you hear them you will know SVS is the right decision indeed!
    Regards,
    Dalton

12. Brian Fineberg

dalton,
    Wow thanks for the great offer!! My dad works in Woonsocket and I almost took a teaching job at the middle school (to replace the well known malesting PE teahcer). Anyhow email me and maybe we could setup a time. Thanks again
    [email protected]
    -B