What's new

What surge protector are you using... and are you comfortable with it? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
There are two threads in the hardware section right now about AVRs getting fried by power surges. Mine is here. So, these discussions prompted me to start a poll.
1) what brand (and model if you know or think its relevant) of surge protector are you using?
2) is it a general surge protector or a HT / A/V specific model?
3) does it cover everything in your system (i.e. enough outlets for everything, phone, and cable too)?
4) if it is a more sophisticated unit (HT specific for example) what was the main feature(s) that made you choose that model?
5) do you feel adequately protected?
Obviously you can answer any or all of the applicable questions.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I'll go first, but I wanted to keep the original poll clean so I'm posting separately.
1) a pretty cheapo Belkin wall mount 6-plex unit.
2) its a general purpose unit
3) no plugs for cable or phone
4) N/A purchased because of convenience and price.
5) no, obviously not

If you read my other thread, you'll notice I'm in the process of making a claim now. Belkin so far has been very cool, and did not asked any specific questions about how it was hooked up, or if other connections such as phone and cable were protected. There was no lightening strike involved, this was an internal power surge so I doubt it was due to the other connections. However, I am planning on replacing this unit with a more expensive unit that covers those connections as well.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
1) Panamax Coaxmax 6
2) HT specific
3) Yes
4) Made for HT & $5 million warranty
5) Yes although I never use my HT during an electrical storm (why tempt fate?)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
1. APC Power Backup
2. Computer Oriented
3. Yes, 3 sockets that will run off a battery for 10 minutes in case of power outage (for the computer) and 3 that are surge protected (which I use for the HT) along with phone line protection
4. $25,000 warranty
5. Yes... best $70 I ever spent ;)
The unit is small... but DAMN is it heavy. :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Is anyone using a UPS (I know Rob is, but it sounds like he is using the non battery-backed-up part for the HT gear)? and if so, have you read that it can be bad for HT gear because it doesnt put out a pure sign wave or something like that.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Man, this topic is going over like a lead balloon. Its strange, that there are actually a few surge stories floating around different areas of the forum right now, but no one seems to value a discussion on surge protectors.

In my opinion, its because it is a potentially expensive (depending on what you get) piece of gear that when it works, the whole point is, you dont know.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
1) APC Back-UPS Office
2) Surge protector/UPS
3) Yep
4) Sophisticated....hrm. No sir.
5) From surges, yes. UPS? Kinda iffy on it. Might need a new battery.

DanaA

Screenwriter
For my computer stuff, APC. So far, so good.
For my HTS, Monster Cable HTS-5000 Power Conditioner. To be honest, I don't notice an audio/visual difference, but love the versatility of the unit as well, as the signal when surge protection is no longer working. What I mean by this is that this unit has high current outputs for my amps and allows easy customizing of whether certain components (like a VHS recorder or television) that save information such as time can receive a constant power feed, whereas others (like an amp or CD changer) only receive power when the Monster is turned on. Regarding the signal of when the unit is no longer serving as a surge protector, it is my understanding that surge protectors wear out after a certain number of hits. Many times, people think their surge protectors are still working, when, in fact, they are not. This unit signals you when the surge protector has worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks