What subwoofer??? (NHT mains..)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Doug_E_P, May 27, 2003.

1. Doug_E_P

Doug_E_P Extra

Well, I managed to talk the wife into allowing me to get floorstanders again, and the NHT ST-4's are the winners. They are not that tipsy (big objection with the little ones starting to crawl) and I've always liked the NHT sound.

Doing ST-4's up front, with the SC-1 center. Still contemplating the SB1 0r 2's as rears.

Subwoofer wise, I'm not only looking at the NHT SW-10 (at 385 bucks!)

I've got a budget of around 500 on the sub, it can't be HUGE, 16x16x16 would be as big I I would really go. So, do I do the NHT or are there others?

Music and Theater both matter.

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Hsu VTF-2. Can be had for 499. If you do a search, you'll find just about 100% positive comments on it. It is probably the best sub you can buy for around 500 dollars.

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet it would best the NHT by a significant margin. And the size should be about right for you too...

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Doug:

Another one to look into is the SV PB1-ISD. It comes with a built in 320 watt amp. It is about $100 more but considering that it comes with the amp built in it is well worth it. Check it out here.

Parker

4. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have two NHT subs with 100 watt amps I could get you for a good price. The only problem is the shipping costs...

5. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

This past weekend I picked up a Def Tech ProSub 100TL (10" / 250 Watts / 14.25'' W x 11.25'' H x 17'' D) for my parents. I wanted a sub to compliment the small Canton Plus X’s I purchased for their HT. This was the largest size driver (10”) I could find in his price range to fit in the space necessary (less than 12”- I’m placing the sub on it’s side).

For a small 10” sub it has a very impressive sound (music/movies) and I was able to purchase it for $382 (15% off retail of $450)

When I built my HT my wife wanted nothing larger than 16” cubed also. After auditioning many subs I was able to negotiate approx 18" cubed. That size will give you the ability to move up to a 12” or 15” driver and twice the fun.

If I had more room for the sub I wanted to get my dad the Paradigm PDR-12 - 12”/ 330W /14.5'' W x 16.25'' H x 19'' and you can get them for about $350.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I strongly suggest taking a look at SVS. If you have a spare amp channel or an old receiver lying around, get one of the passive models and save some money. If not, the cheapest powered SVS is the 25-31Pci at $549.

Also check for SVS' in the "hardware for sale/trade" forum every now and then you'll find some due to bass crazy fanatics always wanting more.

If $500 is the "brick wall", then my two choices would be:

1.) Hsu VTF-2
    2.) Adire Rava