What's new

What subwoofer do you own? If not satisfied, what would you like to own? (1 Viewer)

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Klipsch KSW-15, and it can rattle the walls, but its still just a big boomy cheaply made sub. There are a lot of things I dont like about it. I will be upgrading in the not too distant future to a SVS, model to be determined at a later date.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I have a 260L Tempest tuned to 16-17hz with a 6" straight port powered by a 250W plate amp. I'm quite happy with it and have dropped a few jaws demoing it.

I'm waiting for Adire to come out with their XBL^2 version of the Tempest. At that point I'm thinking of putting a pair in a sealed sonotube with a bit of lowend EQ. However new mains from Adire will take priority.

My dream however would be to get a dedicated room with an appropriate adjacent space. I'd be building an infinite baffle using enough XBL^2 drivers to get the Vd up to at least 20L (possibly 2-3 times that). I'd be jealous of no sub after that :p)

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Velodyne FSR-18. My HT dealer told me when I was shopping for a subwoofer to augment or replace the two 15" "built in subwoofers" in my main tower speakers, that if I bought the big Velo, it would be the only sub I'd ever need. He was right. It lays down an authoritative bass (and sub-bass) foundation without overwhelming the rest of the musical spectrum or calling undue attention to itself. (No boomy or flabby one-note bass here.) If there is bass in the source material, you will hear and feel it, for sure, accurately and with impact.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I stumbled upon a test report by Tom Nousaine 8 years ago.

It was kind of like the internet, I kept hearing about subs (and the internet) and decided to find out what I might be missing.

Nousaine tested a Cerwin-Vega HT12PWR. It put out 105.9 db over the 25-50HZ range. Two things made me spring for it, 1) remote volume control (my ProLogic receiver had no adjustable volume for the sub) and 2) price Listed for $900, I about fell over when J&R sold it for $378 delivered. I think it is still competitive with today's $400-$500 subs. You can certainly do better for $200-$300 more. The $699 HSU VTF 3 Mark II would probably knock its socks off.

Now, somewhere down the line I'd like dual HSU TN1220s with their 500 watt amp (delivers 400 watts each to two TN1220s. A very competent speaker tester had to expand his scale down to 12.5 HZ to capture the low-end response. It managed 101 db (with room gain) at 12.5 HZ.

Another benefit. Each tube weighs only about 32 pounds and the amp is 36 pounds.

SVS has some mighty fine subs like the PB2-ISD, but this bugger weighs 115 pounds. Holy Back Ache, Bat Man!

Artie

Keir H

Second Unit
I have that ever popular SVS PB2ISD in my sightsbut not sure if I wanna give up the benefits of the no-flexing tube shape so it may be a SVS 25-31PC+ we'll see...good subs out there guys!

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Originally had a SVS 20-39 PCi. Upgraded to 16-46 PC+. Now looking to upgrade the house so that I could justify adding another one or two 16-46 PC+. ;) I live in a townhouse now and the listening room is a quite small 15' x 11'.

BrianL

Auditioning
D-Box David 303 12 inch sub. I'm quite happy with it and it's enough to rattle the walls. Haven't experienced the likes of a SVS or HSU and don't plan to until I can afford one :D .

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
DIY Tempest powered by PE 250W. Love it... I got quite a beating after watching U-571... I think my chest is all bruised up.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
2 Audio Pro Ace Bass B1.35 10" subs (stacked). They look great, sound great, very musical, solid to just under 30Hz and were inexpensive. My Buttkicker LFE is there for everything below 30Hz.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Have: Polk Audio PSW-350. Good sound, very musical, got it for a great price.

Want (no real rush): REL Strata III or Velodyne HGS-12.

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced dual Polk Audio PSW450's with a single SVS PB2+ and have never looked back.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Dayton 10" 100watt powered subwoofer (Tiny Mity II). It's in the dormer on my 10'x12' room and I am very pleased with its performance :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I have the Mirage BPS 150i. I would like to dump it for an SVS....one day it will happen :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have heard that those velodyne biggies are great, also very expensive. Also were can one go to check the Tempest's out?.. I am set with an SVS PB2+ that I don't see ever getting rid of as it kicked my two large NHT subs in the dirt.

BrianWH

Agent
I've got two Boston Acoustics VR500 subs in my setup. One would have been plenty for my modest HT, but it was too obvious where the bass was coming from, not by the sound but by the feel of the bass. I added a second and it is perfect.

I love these subs, but will buy SVS when the time comes for a total upgrade of all my speaks.

Brian

my HT

Ole

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a JBL PB12 for 18 months now and I love it. I course I can only crank it up when the wife is gone. If it ever tanks, I will probably go for the SVS, based on all the great comments found on this forum.

PierreAC

Auditioning
Paradigm PS-1000 :emoji_thumbsup:

Extremely satisfied, 17 x 24 room and it shakes it very well.

Though I have to mention I have a pair of Paradigm monitor 9's and they have twin 8" drivers in each so... lotsa bass

:D

BrianKR

Second Unit
SVS B4+ for HT & Music = Very satisfied with it's performance.

I want to replace it with 4 CS+ or Ultra's. I am adding a FP/screen setup to my room and the B4+'s footprint is just too big for where I need the sub to go.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
Velodyne HGS-12. Seems like the right size for the room
both soundwise and physically. I added the remote control
and it sits on its own circuit.

I got it used from a local place where I also picked up my used Lexicon DC-1.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks