What sub to choose ??

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by chrisGA, Apr 26, 2006.

1. chrisGA

chrisGA Auditioning

Guys, I'm looking to buy a second sub for my HT..My first sub is a Sony and is just not cuttin it. I'm looking at either the 10" or 12" Velodyne (DSP 10B or DSP 12B) Does anyone have any input on the differences between the 2...Being a novice at HT it's kinda difficult making anything out of the specs !!

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris

What is your absolute maximum you can spend?

3. chrisGA

chrisGA Auditioning

I don't want to spend more than $600 taxes in. The room that it will be going in is 11' X 16' with a 7' suspended ceiling. Any tips ???

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

5. chrisGA

chrisGA Auditioning

What about anything aviable directly in Canada

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Paradigm makes pretty good subs that many Canadians find to be a better value than paying the additional charges on a sub from the US.

7. chrisGA

chrisGA Auditioning

Then Velodyne would not be a good investment for a sub ?

8. KenWA

KenWA Agent

Hsu has a dealer network in Canada.

9. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

hey guys, I'm not looking to spend alot, but I'd like to know what range I should spend based on my setup.

I have a pair of Yamaha floorspeakers (they are 777 model) and cost about about $225 each. My center channel was around $200 and my surrounds are some leftover bookshelf speakers I have. My receiver is a Sony that cost about $500 4 years ago.

I dont think that warrants me spending $400 on a sub, but I'd love some input. Is buying one of those cheapo Yamaha subs going to do the trick or should the sub be the priciest item i have?

10. chrisGA

chrisGA Auditioning

Any feed back on this ?

11. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Mandy - It's pretty common for a sub to cost about the same as your pair of main speakers (not a hard and fast rule or anything, but it seems to work out that way a number of times).

Chris - Since you're in Canada, Axiom is probably another company to consider. I've never heard their subs, but their top-end subs have received great reviews.

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what they go for near you, but the paradigm pw2200 and the Velodyne dls5000 are both good units to consider...the energy 12.3 is another. The 2200/12.3 will both extend a bit deeper, the 5000 will give you more output in the mid/upper bass...but all three are good units.

Tom V.
    SVS

13. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

An employee of SVS recommending other brands (and complimenting them) because SVS probably wouldn't be the best in this particular situation. I've often heard that SVS will never try to oversell you, but not even trying to sell to a potential customer? How many other companies would do that?

In response to your question about Velodyne, I owned one of there entry level 12" subs (CHT-120, I think) and was very happy with it.

14. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
  15. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

The Velodynes are nice HT/music subs, funky volume control, but they hit very well. They are not as clean down below 30hz as their more expensive cousins, but they get there with authority. You'll do better with the 12". I'm not from Canada, but they sell direct and on sale from Future Shop. A fellow in Vancouver got one for $399 delivered on a one day sale. Look out for Mother's or Father's day.

16. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I had the same price range for a sub. After reading everyone's opinion on multiple web-sites, I've basically decided on the HSU STF-1 for $399 Cdn list. I'll be picking it up next week.
    HSU has a dealer network in Canada. You maybe able to haggle down from there.The Canadian distributor for HSU is www.hi-fidelity.com. They have phone numbers to find your local dealer.

17. Charles-T

Charles-T Agent

Just as a friendly FYI,

Tom VodHanel is not really an employee of SVS. He is however the "V" in SVS as he is one of the actual owners of the company. Him and Ron Stimpson (the "S" in SVS) are both great guys to talk with and will not steer you wrong.

18. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys!

19. MiguelP

MiguelP Stunt Coordinator

Hey thats is a cheap subwoofer but tell me how that subwoofer is going to outpeform the klipsch sub-12 or the def tech new pro sub 100tl.

I am currently shopping for a subwoofer and the mirage s12 looks convinicing enough for me to buy. Ok it has alot of power,but what about quality wise, peformance wise? durability wise? reliability wise? Convince me becuase I am confuse right now.

20. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya Charles,

Sorry out of topic here but since on the subject of erhh the initials SVS...I converse a lot with an Erik 'S', any relations with Ron Stimpson. I ask because he seems to be a guy of some authority there.

I also ask because I find their subs to be excellent value for money and would like to know more ermm background...or a plain busybody, hehehe

Thank you.

Cheers
    David