What's new

What sub in the $1500 and up range? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I know this an SVS site. I own a 20-39cs and a Paradigm Servo 15a.I have a large(4600 cubic ft.)room. I really want to reach reference levels. I have narrowed it down to a few subs.The Ultra package, another Servo 15a,Von Schweikert Audio's VR s/3 or the Talon roc.I have VSA speakers all around and know the quality sound they produce so I'm leaning that way.Give me your thoughts and opinions.

Happy New Year,

Steve

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Steve,
What is it about the talon or the VSA subwoofer that indicates it's going to be able to produce(a minimum of)115dBs at all your key seats down to the 21-25hz range?
From what I've seen...they both seem like good subs...but probably not leaps above the servo15(or the 20-39) you already have.
In 4600 cu-ft...115dBs/21-25hz isn't chicken feed:)
Or are you planning on running all 3 subs?
TV

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
SVS may be the winner for cost effective subbing.

If I was looking at more expensive subs, the first I would consider is the Revel B15. Awesome. I have never seen any measured results - I'd be very curious about if anmyone has seen any. The B15 includes parametric filters for taming bass peaks, along with some software to facilitate measurements and then setting the filters. Very nice touch - the most user friendly sub on the market IMO. Saves a bit of money off the price since you don't need to buy a parametric EQ, and the user friendly nature makes it more likely to get it right. Very few people ever set their subs up even close to optimally (probably myself included!), so this is an important feature. I don't know what your upper range is - the Revels are around $3k I think.

Whatever you get, a home demo is mandatory - you have a big room, and want some serious bass - so you gotta be able to bring it back if it doesen't work. But make sure you take the time to try and set up whatever you get properly.

Cheers,

Chris

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I can think of a couple right off the bat. Velodyne HGS18 or SVS SS with Crown K2 amp.
What the heck. Why not just move into Trevor's place? ;)

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Aerial makes a killer sub, but it is pricey, very. Like 3500-4000 bucks I think.

Lex

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The aerial isn't really a cost effective approach(imo). 4000+ for a single decent throw 12 and a single 4" port? no thanks.

the B15 would be interesting,haven't seen any objective performance verification for that one yet.(But I can't see a sealed 15 doing much better than the HGS18)

the infamous HGS18 is another killer option...although our CS_U/S1000 package faired quite well against it during Brian's subwoofer shootout at hometheaterhifi.

Steve, are you consider all adjoining room space in your 4600 cu-ft figure?(any room space that has large openings to the HT room). Also...how far from the sub(s) are your key listening positions?

TV

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Tom the 4600 cubic ft. is including the openings into kitchen and hallway.I am about 2 ft. away from the Paradigm and 12 ft. away from the 20-39cs.The room also has a fireplace and a sliding glass door. The SVS is corner loaded and the Paradigm is along the back wall 2/3 of the way down.Tom I read the shoot out review and am very impressed the only thing is hiding 2 Ultras in the far corner and getting Spousal acceptance.I like the performance of the SVS and don't mind the great aesthetics but the better half is another story.If I went with SVS how much more output would I get with the 20-39+ and the 1000 amp over the Ultras. Would the 20-39+ package give me the Reference bass I seek?Tom ,I plan on only 2 subs and selling the others.

Thanks,

Steve

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom the 4600 cubic ft. is including the openings into kitchen and hallway.>I am about 2 ft. away from the Paradigm and 12 ft. away from the 20-39cs.>The room also has a fireplace and a sliding glass door. The SVS is corner loaded and the Paradigm is along the back wall 2/3 of the way down.Tom I read the shoot out review and am very impressed the only thing is hiding 2 Ultras in the far corner and getting Spousal acceptance.I like the performance of the SVS and don't mind the great aesthetics but the better half is another story.

J

John Morris

Steve: Come on down bud. I have already tested my Ultra against the Aerial sub and the Relo sub, and it tested as least as good in the test room which measured approx 14x25x10'. In fact, the Aerial 10HT setup made for a very nice match for the Ultra sub. Still, the Relo stadia sub was also very nice.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Tom, The 4600 cu. ft. includes the volume of the kitchen.

I run all my speakers as small and let the subs do their jobs, crossing over at about 70hz. In this respect I can cross-over down to 30 hz if need to.

Sub location is not set in stone. I will try your experiment tomorrow.I ran my sweeps a few weeks ago and the Servo put out better numbers along the wall than the 20-39 did in the corner.This was a suprise to me.

Tom,how much bigger in circumfrence are the ultras in relation to the 20-39?

John M. where about in Texas do you live? I'm about 2 hours North of Houston.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
TV, no offense, but I didn't really recommend it as a cost effective approach. :) Actually, just threw it out there, because the sub is stunning looking, and I know it performs. I would love to have one myself, just not for 4K.
Lex

SC Trojan

Agent
Real Name
Gary
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I tried an original roc based on a friends recommendations and havent looked back since. I have tried many subs from Revel B15, 2 Sunfires, velodyne HGS, Rel stadium 3, 2 vandersteens v2qs, M&K mx-350. In my room and in my application, the ROC was the easiest sub to blend int with my speakers. Couldnt tell where the sub was placed. All of the subwoofers had tradeoffs between music and HT. The roc was the best in acurracy and speed for music and tremendous output for HT. Give it a listen if you have the chance. You wont regret it. I dont even think about going to the "newer" ROC because the old one is all I need. A friend of mine upgraded to the newer roc, and I have his in my garage.......I was thinking about using 2 ROCs (my processor allows for 3 subs- meridian 561), but one is MORE than plenty!

If you are intested in the sub sitting in my garage, let me know. If I find it a good home, I may be willing to part with it. Otherwise, I'll keep it for my eventual second HT room.....

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>TV, no offense, but I didn't really recommend it as a cost effective approach. Actually, just threw it out there, because the sub is stunning looking, and I know it performs. I would love to have one myself, just not for 4K.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom, The 4600 cu. ft. includes the volume of the kitchen.I run all my speakers as small and let the subs do their jobs, crossing over at about 70hz. In this respect I can cross-over down to 30 hz if need to.>>Tom,how much bigger in circumfrence are the ultras in relation to the 20-39?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks