What sub for around $1000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Kam, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Todd_Kam

Todd_Kam Extra

Current system is as follows:

Onkyo 595

Paradigm Monitor 7's

Paradigm CC370

Paradigm ADP170's

I'm looking a for sub somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 the room it'll be used in is 12 x 17. Right now the two i'm most interested in are the SVS 20-39CS+/S1000 package and the Paradigm Servo 15. I'd like to hear your recommendations and suggestions of other subs that I should take a look at.

Todd

2. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

For a room that small, you may want to consider a SVS 20-39PC instead and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

In my opinion the 20-39CS+/S1000 is almost a no brainer at the $1000 price point. If you lived in Canada then maybe I'd consider the Servo15 (but I don't think it can match a CS+'s output).

However, if you can DIY a sub, then there are some options that will easily compete with the 20-39CS+/S1000, but at half the cost. Provided you don't have to buy tools to build it and don't mind putting in the time to build the enclosure.

As for the + being to much for your room. I wouldn't think so. I have a Tempest DIY that will have a little more output than a + in a 12x18 room, and I very much enjoy it. Headroom is never a bad thing.

4. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Todd - I'm doing an in-home comparison of a SVS 20-39PC and a Velo servo 15 (and older model (F-1500R), but quite a substantial sub). I found that the Velo is still alive and kicking at 10-15hz while the SVS drops off rapidly below 20hz. However, in normal use with movies (and not test disks), the SVS had more slam and presence (with clean sound) than the Velo.
    So, I guess since we listen more to movies/music than test disks that bottom feed (at least we should, right?), I'd call the SVS the winner in my case.
    Don't know how well that applies to the Paradigm Servo 15.
    Doug

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Go with the SVS, you wont regret it, plus if you go with the SVS and Samson you will have a two channel amp with one channel available for future upgrade possibilities.

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Among the others, also take a look at the Mirage BPS-400 (which lists for $1300 but can be had at many Tweeters now for $800 or less) and the Adire Audio Dharman (www.adireaudio.com/rpd/dharman.htm). Good luck!