What's new

what sub do i want to build? (1 Viewer)

JimV

Auditioning
hi guys, my first official thread, been here a long time, just reading, i love the info here! anyway my delema is, i'm about to build a sub and at first i was thinking sono tube but i've ben reading that the svs's and sono's are better for HT cuz they lack alittle in the 40 to 80hz and that a cube would be better for music.

i have a HK avr525, athena as-f2's and a klh 12 sub and i listen to about 70 music 30 ht and really want it to hit hard on music. room is 7'.5/10'.5/19'

also how would the dayton mkII at parts express do for a sono, thanks guys

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Hi,
I can see how you would get the idea of a sono being better, however in reality a sono will sound the same as a box sub provided size, driver, porting etc... are the same. Which type to go with is really just personal preference.
Since you're going mostly music I'd say either go with a sealed sub or a ported sub tuned nice and low (below 20Hz).

How large of a sub can you tolerate?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

What type is left that is TYPICALLY used in an HT setup........unless of course you meant anything
"except" a PR, or IB....:confused:

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Well not a ported sub tuned up high like around 30-40Hz. Alot of commercial subs are like that and I hear it makes them quite unmusical. When you tune low, the group delay is quite acceptable for most of the musical-bass range.

My key point was that he should only consider a ported box if he could tolerate the larger porting requirements to reach down deep.

I might not be making any sense, I haven't slept for two days.

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
JimV

What kind of music do you listen to mostly and at what levels ? What kind of budget do you have ? Can you tolerate a large sub or does it have to be on the small size ? The more info you can provide, the more useful information you will receive.

Another good place for you to get good information is to talk to Kyle Richardson at Acoustic-Visions.com. He sells a variety of drivers / kits / amps and parts from various companies and he will give you his honest opinion on what might work best for your needs.

JimV

Auditioning
dean, i listen to everything from tool to garbage, but mostly hard stuff, and i like to crank it up. budget is around $400, and i can go fairly big if i had to. thanks for the info guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alpineadventurecamp51