What sub do I buy. Final piece to the puzzle!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edi, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Edi

Edi Extra

I have a 3802 Denon, with Paradigm Reference. 60's up front, 20 in the rear, and a CC. The room size is 17x25, but the speakers are set up 17x17. I have 8 ft. ceilings, real wood on the walls, and rug that's with padding.
    So, what would be a good sub, a great sub, and the absolute best sub on the market for my set up.

thanks in advance ed

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I'll beat all of SVS reccomendations with one for M&K. I beleive they are the best sounding subs for the money. unless you have 3k to drop on a Revel, M&Ks are the way to go. Preowned models are not too tough to find either.

-rob

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Fairly off topic, but in a room that size, I think you will find you be pushing the limits of power for the Stuido 60s with that receiver at louder levels. You might want to consider external amplification for the mains.

What price range for the sub? Movies or music?

4. ReneA

ReneA Agent

Have you considered the HSU VTF-2 or VTF-3? The VTF-2 goes for around $450 and the VTF-3 goes for around $800.00. Plenty of power. Fondly mentioned in rewiews.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I punched in your room dimensions in my room mode calc. The biggest problem may lie at 66-67hz with your sub in the corner. The first order resonances are 22, 33, and 70hz. These are frequencies where the room could suck out the bass from the middle listening area.

It could get pretty costly if you want deep bass throughout the room. Have you considered DIY subwoofers?

$350 can get you a Parts Express Titanic
    $400 can get you an adire rava
    $400 can get you a DIY adire 250 watt tempest.
    $550+ can get you a powered SVS
    $850 can get you a HSU VTF-3
    $2899 M&K MX-5000 THX MK II
    $3500 can get you a Velodyne servo HGS-18
    $4000 can get you dual JBL HTPS-400 (2,000 watts of THX bass)
    $5000 can get you SVS SS
    $22,000 can get you Wilson Audio XS (112db+ @ 16hz)
    $28,000 for a Krell Master Reference (120db+ @ 20hz)

6. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I have pretty much the same setup as the original poster, but I have cheaper surrounds and a smaller room.

Re the 3802 not providing enough power for the Studio/60s, if you run them as "small" once you get your sub that should reduce the risks there.

For what it's worth, I ended up choosing SVS for subs, dual 20-39 CS+ tubes. It's a bit more than was probably necessary but I'm not regretting it a bit.

7. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

8. Edi

Edi Extra

I am trying to stay in the "reasonable" price range, south of 600.00? Does that make sense? Mostly movies, although this is the entertainment area, so music will be played 30% or so. I am a much bigger movie fan.

Model numbers and names would be greatly appreciated. Still a newbie!

9. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

If you want to stay under $600 I would recommend a 20-39 PCi from SVS. I own it myself. I've not heard it with the Paradigms but many have expressed the opion that it blends quite well with them.

10. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Whether a $600 price range makes sense is entirely a function of you and what you enjoy about movies; just recognize that this means a sub which is a probably a tier below the rest of your equipment.

11. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

A pair of Hsu VTF-2s or a single VTF-3 would rock your world. [​IMG]

12. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Edi, please visit this page:
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/performancekits.htm
    The "Vented 214 liter kit" listed at the bottom is somewhere between the performance of a SVS CS+ and CS-Ultra (especially if you substitute 4" ports for the 3" ports shown), and ahead of most of the other models mentioned above. Of course, you could build such a sub yourself for a lower price than is shown on that page (around $400 as Chris stated). More information about this kind of product in general can be found in the DIY forum.

13. Edi

Edi Extra

Well,

ordered the 20-39 PCi from SVS. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input. ed

14. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Thanks for the order Ed, We'll most likely be shipping it out in about 12 hours...so be sure to let me know if you have any setup/calibration questions while you wait for it to be delivered.

TV

15. ReneA

ReneA Agent

Right On, Ben_wood!!!