What's new

What stores do you have in your Neighborhood? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I had to laugh, somebody counted and what came in 1st???
12 Headshops!!!
Tied in 1st place was 12 clothing stores and 12 Vintage clothing stores
8 shoe stores
5 Gift shops
4 Pizza Parlors
4 Coffee Houses (AND NOT A ONE STARBUCKS!!!)
3 Bike Stores

But We could use a Bank....they all closed and turned into used clothing stores (nice ones I might add)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
there is a point in a town around here, i forget where...but you can see three dunkin donuts from the same point. listing the stores would be a pain in the ass around here, we are a tourist-y town: plymouth rock, the mayflower, plymouth plantation and so on. lots of gift shops. it is the only town i know of with an airport, a nationally known 'landmark', a nuclear power plant, and no mall :)

CJ

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Most of my neighborhood is a major university. :)

Aside from that, there are three comic book shops walkable from each other (if you count Newbury Comics, which is more of a record store, and don't count Tokyo Kid); something like ten other bookstores, including specialty sci-fi, poetry, and travel shops, and two (two!) Marxist bookstores; two movie theaters; four or five pizza joints (low, methinks, for a college area); something like ten used record store (including one whose sign says "we buy and sell records, tapes, CDs, videos, DVD, and Atari"), and two newsstands where you can buy foreign newspapers.

Of course, I'm not sure where Harvard Square ends and Central Square begins.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

I guess I am Mr Obvious
Part of it is I am looking for a job and every GD job involves relocating and it's driving me crazy.... we also have 0 aerospace companies:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
Redners Food Store and a Blockbusters the same distance but in differnt directions, 1.8 miles all the rest is houses and clean air.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
From nearest my apartment to furthest:

*Golden Cheng's fine Chinese restaurant. (Could be finer, but not terrible).
*Kinney Drugs
*HSBC
*Savings & Loan
*Optometrist
*Rent-2-Own
*Local doughnut shop
*Tanning Salon
*Jreck Subs
*Local pizza place
*Eckard's pharmacy.
*Chrysler dealer

After that you officialy cross over into the adjoining town, where they have all the good stores.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
This reminds me of the Starbucks routine from Lewis Black.

Here's an MP3 of the bit to listen to. It's so funny, but it's SO true!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Of course there are 12 headshops in your neighborhood, if you live in Haight-Ashbury. If you lived in the Mission you'd have at least a dozen taco shops.

The neighborhood I live in Seattle (Ballard) has about 15 places to get espresso in a four block radius. In all of Ballard (about 1 square mile) I have almost 50 restaurants, 10 bars, 3 brewpubs/brewries, 3 supermarkets, 2 record stores, 3 bookstores, and 1 bowling alley.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to ask... what is a headshop?

Drug stores seem to be the latest trend in stores to pop up on every major intersection around here. There are at least three CVS's (formerly Arbor Drugs), one Rite-Aid and a Walgreens within a couple of miles of my house. That does not include the pharmacies located in the grocery stores, either.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Grant, your neighborhood has had headshops galore since the 1960s. In my neighborhood -- the Melrose Avenue circus -- there are about five or six headshops (one of them is a damn supermarket of bongs, hookahs, glass pipes, and copies of High Times going back several years). The Haight, though, is cooler than Melrose.

Scott, to elaborate a little on Grant's answer, think of Grace Slick's line from Jefferson Airplane's classic 1960s acid-rock number, "White Rabbit": "Feed your head, feed your head."

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
When I was training out in Mountain View, the first tourist trip I made was to the Haight-Ashbury area. If I recall correctly, it was pretty commercialized with The Gap at the famous corner - and I believe a Ben and Jerry's. I did spend a bit of time at Amoeba Records and stepping over sleeping Deadheads and their dogs.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
2 Vintage clothes stores
4 Chinese Fast Food
1 Vietnamese Restaurant
1 Vintage Rexall Style Drug Store (We open at 10:00 A.M):)
Adult "Toy" Store
Metaphysical Shop
TV Repair
Tool Rental
European Dress Shop etc.

Really too hard to list ALL the stores around here, as many of us live above the businesses themselves. 4th, 7th and Broadway are kind of set up like this. So there is a place of business evey few steps.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
- Two supermarkets
- Many clothing boutiques (including one "exotic leather" shop)
- Two Exotic furniture stores specializing in Indian furnishings
- Photocopy shop
- Computer supply store
- Two hardware stores
- Various restaurants
- A few shoe stores
- A big drugstore
- Video rental places (Vidéotron, Blockbuster, La Boîte Noire)
- Antiques and thrift shops
- One sex shop
- Two metro (subway) stations
- Two pawn shops (luckily not too close)
- One magazine store
- One stage theater
- Three used books stores
- Five used CD and DVD stores (plenty of choices)

When you live on "Le Plateau", everything is close by! :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I can't even count. Every corner in Atlanta is stores. If I had to guess within 5 mile radius there would be 9 grocery stores, ~30 restaurants, 2 Walmarts, 2 Targets (one super), 2 Home depots, 2 Lowes, 4 movie theaters, 1 Best buy, 1 Circuit City, endless amount of things like Bed, bath and beyond, Staples, Goodys, Gap and all that crap. Oh and 7 car dealerships. I'm in the middle of traffic hell, you gotta love suburbia.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
We live near a prime shopping area... It's a testing area as well... There are places all over...

Whatever you need, I am sure there is a store for it... Three malls all within 20 minutes of each other, tons of restaurants and fast food joints, six video stores within 15 minutes, etc... The list goes on and on...

We also have one of those exotic shops close by... It was just built recently... It is kind of strange to pass by a shop and see a guy dressed as a wolf, a woman in leather, and handcuffs on display in the window... We even got a flier in the mail for their Valentines Day sale... 30% off coupon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks