What steps should I take to make my lawn the envy of my neighbours?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Ok, it's finally spring and still a little soggy, but i'm looking for things I need to do to prep my lawn for early summer.

Is there a comprehensive book out there? Website? I not only need steps buy they need to be chronological.

2. andrew markworthy

Put industrial strength grass killer on theirs - that way, your lawn will look brilliant in comparison, no matter what its actual state is. [​IMG]

Okay, I'll be serious. In the UK, the standard reference works for the average Brit gardener are the 'Expert' books by D.G. Hessayon. One of the ones in the series is the Lawn Expert, which is available in the USA (e.g. see the Amazon site). You may find some of the Brit terms confusing, but as one of the reviewers on the Amazon site notes, you can cross-reference through the Latin terms on Google to find the American equivalents. I've generally found the Expert series to be sound on basics and although you might go to other sources for cutting-edge design ideas and similar, I nearly always start with the Expert series when I'm first tackling a new gardening problem.

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Can't...

resist...

Find some girls from the Mall of America that are willing to tan on your lawn all day.

[​IMG]

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    If you want it green and long, throw some Ironite on it.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i subscribe to scott's lawn care reminder program.

every once in a while, they send me info telling me now is the time to put on turf builder, fertilize, etc. they also let me know of any issues (like weeds) that are prevelant in my area. i know it's nothing more then good marketing on their part, but they've been right on the money.

i recently discovered some clover-leaf looking weeds in my lawn. literally within a few days i received an email alert from them letting me know about it. really, it kinda tripped me out.

anyway, the website has some other good general info. just remember to seed, fertilize, etc. i must admit my backyard is lookin' pretty handsome ... my front still needs some work though.

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Astroturf your lawn[​IMG]

the only way to make your lawn look great is to spend lots of time and money on it, and then maintain it religiously
    something I am not willing to do myself, I just cut the grass and halfheartedly pull weeds from around the daffodils and daylilies I planted in my little gardens

7. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Id think the easiest way would be to just do donuts on THEIR lawn with a big truck... Then they'd have to envy yours?

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

nah...i disagree.

the only routine i do is spending a couple of hours a week moving my front and back lawn (much less in the winter). i've probably spent a total of about 5 hours (no exaggeration) since i've owned my home doing actual lawn maintenance stuff -- like fertilizing, spraying weed stuff, etc. i doubt i've spent more then 100.00 total on products.

admittedly my lawn won't win any awards, but it's certainly decent looking enough.