What's new

What STB will I need? Advice please! (1 Viewer)

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
O.K. Here’s the situation. My wife and I are planning to purchase a HDTV after we move, which will not be until the first quarter or so of next year. I am trying to do all of my homework well in advance, but even so, I think my head is about to explode!

We do not know where we are moving as of yet: we only know somewhere in the southeast (AL, GA, KY, or TN). Still, I am hoping that we end up someplace where we can receive some OTA HD signals. I am sure we will want to also receive either satellite or cable, but this early in the game, I am not sure which.

So, armed with this information, what kind of STBs are recommended? Please tell me that I will only need one STB (and not multiple boxes for numerous transmission sources). Also, where is the best place to get a STB, and what kind of cost am I looking at?

David X

Stunt Coordinator
If you go with Dish Network, you would purchase their 6000 reciever that does HDTV decoding/upconversion/etc and a module that plugs into it if you can get OTA HDTV. You will also need a decent UHF antenna to receive the OTA HDTV signals.

Effectively, the 6000 is your set top box for both satelite HDTV and OTA HDTV and also does upconversion for standard tv channels.

There's a second module for the 6000 for receiving the Discovery HD channel.

I don't know anything about DirecTV's hardware.

-David

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Dan,
Any advice given now will become old in a short time.
Both Dish-Direct TV have new boxes due out soon.
Some of these will include 1394 firewire and DVI outputs.
At this time it may be best to keep one eye open for hardware reviews and announcements.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
O.K. I need either some further explanation, or links to more information. I am ignorant when it comes to following:

“A module that plugs into it…”
What exactly are these “modules”?

“1394 firewire and DVI outputs…”
I do not know what either of these are.

I will search the net and try to educate myself in the meantime, however.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Dan --
1394 Firewire is a computer standard that is faster than USB. It's generally used to transfer digital video from camcorders to the PC. I'm not sure of its application in the home theater world but I think it's about the same.
DVI is the result of a stupid concept developed by the MPAA that involves having a permanent pay-per-view thing for HDTV. If you want to view HDTV, you have to pay for it like you pay pay-per-view. It's really stupid and we should be fighting this crap -- not preparing for it. IMO, it should go the way of DIVx. One thing's for sure, I will *NEVER* have DVI or PPV HDTV in MY house. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks