What SPL's do you see with your DIY subs?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark Wilson, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Agent

What type of SPL's do you guys commonly see (or have the capability to reproduce) with your DIY subs?

I originally bought 2 tempests, with the intention of building two sonosubs. I completed the first, and I can't imagine needing a second! If my friends ask for some demo's, I usually crank up a 15 Hz sine wave, which gives the couch/room/window a very nice rumbling. I then run some very slow waves from 15-500 Hz. Don't have an SPL meter so I can't get any readings though [​IMG]

It unfortunatly doesn't sound to swell, because at those level's, everything is rumbling/shaking/rattling. At every frequency something else starts making noise [​IMG]

Compared to the velodyne CHT-15 which I had before (which according to some ht forums is supposed to be a very nice sub) mr. tempest is much much better. Not to mention, much much cheaper!

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I hit 115 db at 40 Hz once. Kinda freaked me out. 122L sealed Tempest and Shiva TL.

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

put it this way, say a Tempest has 90 [email protected] meter eficiency and had a 1000 watt amp feeding it. pushing only 500 watts will give you about 117 db's @ 1 meter.

I run 2 10"s on 120 watts each so I get close to 111 db's at FULL power. [ive never tried to get to that level BTW]

But remember, if a system is calibrated accurately, then it just depends on how loud vs reference level you prefer to listen to. It is always better to have head room with all of your speakers so you dont have too much distotion.

Mark, where do you get your sine wav's? I run a Hewlet Packard Oscilator thru my system for testing. What amp(s) are running your tempests? How strong are the amps for the rest of your system? A ratshaq SPL meter is soooo worth the money spent. If you havent calibrated yet, you really should. if you like to "demo" your sub, you should also have the SPL meter there to tell your friends they are listening to a xxHz sine wave at x db's.

4. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I just put my rat shack meter on my bp1503 while playing some rap music(say 30-45hz) at approx 1m it overloads the metre at 126db corner loaded. At the sitting position I could hit 110-117db. My sealed av12(1 cube) was hitting 115db at 1m same song. not sure what to expect from a dual av12 + bp1503[​IMG]

5. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

you could stand there holding the meter at 126 db's? wow, what amp you running?

6. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Agent

I'm jsut generating my sine waves from winisd off my computer. (Running a digital connection from the computer to my receiver, through my game theater XP) Not a bad setup for computer sound.

For now I'm just running one tempest so I'm only running the AVA250, when/and if I do build the enclosure for the second tempest I'll invest in a different amp, or use an old stereo receiver. The rest of the power is handled by my NAD T752 receiver (around 80 real watts per channel, powering my enter n' surrounds) and a NAD 2200 PE amp which is powering my mains (It's around 100 real watts per channel, with quite a bit of headroom)

Yup, only calibrated by ear, and getting a rackshack spl meter would certainly be fun, only problem is, I'm up in Canada, and the radio shack here is.. Well, they don't even carry LED's or resistors anymore.

8. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

9. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

"I just put my rat shack meter on my bp1503 while playing some rap music(say 30-45hz) at approx 1m it overloads the metre at 126db corner loaded. At the sitting position I could hit 110-117db."

My 1803 with 1200 watts, 13 ft^3 ported, tuned to 17 Hz would overload the meter at the sitting position!!!!!

Brian

10. Shawn Solar

Don't doubt it for a second Brian,

At the time I just about went for the 1803 but it took too much room. The 1503 is in a 5cuft tuned to 20hz. I never clipped the amp(QSC USA850, 1100watts bridged) the fan never kicked in either. I'm sure driven a little harder I could clip the amp. I have done it before on CD & DVD but on satellite I was worried about the mains as satellite is compressed so to hit high volumes the average volume needs to be high. Though I got to say the av2's from Danny can hold their own quite well.

11. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

12. Shawn Solar

I think the analog metre only does 120db and the digital does 126db. I have the digital cause the don't sell the analog in Canada no more. I find it doesn't measure peaks that well(readout is too slow). analog in this case is better

13. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

dual av15 and can max out a rs spl meter playing bass but can allmost hit 120 at ring drop