What spekares with AVR325

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike:Corb, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Mike:Corb

Mike:Corb Stunt Coordinator

I have already posted a similar thread. I work at best buy and can get the klipsch quintets for 200 or 250 dollars. I am wondering if I should get the ventriloquist vt-12, klipsch quintets, fluance sx-htb or av-htb. I am not sure what sub I will be getting yet, I am looking for reccomendations on that too. This 80%HT 20%Music set up with be going in my dorm and then like 2 years down the road in an apartment. I play my movies loud, so I need something that will be clear and loud with my HK 325. Could you guys give me a little advice please? Thanks in advance

2. Mike:Corb

oops, forgot to meantion, that I would prefer bookshelves or sats. But the fluance seem just too good to pass up on that price, and if they would sound better then the klipsch or HSU speakers I would be willing to sacrafice the space. I am also open to any other suggestions. I don't have much of a budget though. $300 give or take some depending on home much of an improvement it will make, I might even go to $400 if you guys feel it is needed. Thanks

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Do you have a budget on the sub?

I have heard the Ventriloquist and think it would ge great for a dorm room, add the STF-1 sub and it will bring your total to $550.

I have not heard any Fluance speakers yet.

My brother has the Quintets, but the Ventriloquist sounded better to me.

4. Mike:Corb

I have a $300 budget on the sub, I saw the STF-1 but I don't think that the 8in driver will come close to what I want for my HT movies. Thanks for the input, like I said I want this system to be loud and clear off my HK receiver. Also Curtis, could you explain to me what you liked more about ventriloquists then the quintetes.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

First, I heard the STF-1, and it was able to shake the sofa at Hsu Research. I thought it was one of their bigger subs (I own a VTF-3), but Dr. Hsu then pointed out it was the STF-1 and smiled. It was placed behind the sofa and also sounded great for music.

The difference in the Ventriloquists and the Quintets is exactly what is described in Hsu's advertising of the system....the mids and mid-bass were much more "there" compared to the Quintets....a much more balanced sound.

If you are located in the LA area....I suggest a visit to their offices to check out their offerings.

6. Mike:Corb

Ok, I haven't ruled out the ventriloquist yet, but I am also looking into some bookshelves. I like the paradigm atom and titan. Would I power these sufficiently with the HK325, how would they compare to the ventriloquist's. I wish I could get the ascend 170's but I think $330 for just 2 speakers is to much. I keep wanting more and more, but I also have to think about how much power I have with my HK. Any other suggestions for a good match with my receiver? Also, how do the fluance sx-htb's sounds, and would I have enough power for the?

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I would not worry about the HK325...it is a very capable receiver.

I would put the Ventriloquist system ahead of Atoms, but probably not Titans.

8. Mike:Corb

can I get some more suggestions on speakers to go with my HK325. From what I have read, the ventriloquist seem to be very promising. But do they get loud and clear? Does everyone else agree the ventriloquists are a better bet then the quintets? Also would it be worth inversting a little more to get some atoms or titans?

9. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

Ultimately, the speaker choice is what sounds best to you, since listening preferences and room/environment will play a factor as well. Also, because you work at BB, take some speakers home and audition them. But since you are looking for opinions...

NHT Superones: ~130 Each
    JBL NSP II: $180 for 5 speakers

I have not listened to the speakers that you mentioned, but have experience with NHT and JBL speakers with HK receivers. Currently I am using NHT SB-3's (Fronts, Center) with an HK 325, and am very happy with the results. NHT speakers are said to be inneficient due to the use of sealed cabinets, but the 325 has no problems at high volumes. Besides the fact that the 325 has a beefy power supply, it also has pre outs for all channels, so power should not be a concern.

Before purchasing the system above, I had an HK 320 with the JBL NSP-1 (5 speaker package) and really enjoyed it. This was a good system for the money and the speakers sounded great, I just did not like the plastic cabinets. This is just personal preference though.

Buy.com had the JBL package for 179 plus shipping, but not sure if this deal is still available.