What specs should I go for on a projector.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matt.willmore, Mar 16, 2002.

1. matt.willmore

matt.willmore Auditioning

I've got the big sound, 5.1 and the rest. Now I need a big picture. Only I'm not completely sure what sort of specs I need to go for on a projector. My living room is about 13'x12' and I recon I want a picture thats about 8'x4.5'. Now as DVD can output ~450 lines will an SVGA project running at 800x600 res have a good enough picture that it won't appear grainy? Is it better to go for a 16x9 projector given that most of the media will also be wide screen or will a 4x3 be OK and maybe cheaper..? Also, I will ocasionaly want to watch films in the day time, but the only control I have over the light is to close the curtains. What sort of light output should I go for, I was thinking around 850 lumens.? Depending on the money I might have to make do with a wall for a screen, however I was thinking that a board painted in a mat silver that I could put on or off the wall might be a good temporary soloution. What do you think..? As I live in the UK I need a PAL/NTSC compatible machine as I've got US import discs as well. I've got about £800 to buy a second hand projector, can anyone recommend a box for that sort of money with as many bells and whistles as possible. I need s-vid and composite at least, RGB would be nice. It needs to be reasonably quiet as its going to be mounted about 6' above our heads so we don't what a gail blowing whilst trying to enjoy a film. Please help....

Thanks

2. Michael FF

Michael FF Stunt Coordinator

Hi Matt-- I recently built a home theater (see theater section under michael fleming)--I decided on a Runco projector and an 8' wide 16:9 screen. What I suggest to you is this: if you can, go to a outlet that has various projectors set up in their sample home theater settings. Let your vision be your guide in selecting a projector. And, yes, go for 16:9 ratio. Hope this helps.