What's new

What speakers would you recomend for my needs? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Hello. I have finally gotten some money saved up and I would like to get a surround sound package. I only need the 5 speakers because I already have the sub (SAWM40). My room is about 16 1/2' x 11. I am using a Denon 1803 for a receiver. I use my system for about 60% movies and about 40% music. My budget is between $500 and $600, taxes included. Locally, there are dealers that sell Boston, Klipsch, B&W, Paradigm, and Martin Logan. I'm sure there are some other brands around, but those are the ones I know of. So, meeting these criteria, which speakers would you recommend? I will be looking tomorrow morning. Thanks for your input.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Try the Jbl studio series bookshelf speakers. S-38's for fronts, s-center for center, and s26's or s36's for surrounds (or s-38's if you can afford them). This is what I use (4 s-38's and s-center) also with the same sub you have, and they sound great. You should be able to get them within your budget from jandr.com.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I second that with the JBL lineup and actually you can drop back to a couple of the smaller ones in the S Series for a smaller footprint. The S Center is gonna be your workhorse and with any of the other S series around you, sound will be seamless. Let them breakin a while and I believe you will be pleased.
Shopping around will certainly benefit you as these S Series JBL products are wide ranging in price over the net.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, I think I have decided on a set. I plan on getting Paradigm Titans in front, a CC170, and Atoms in the rear. I really liked the way they sounded and they are shooting a really good price. Hopefully by next weekend I will have it all hooked up. I can hardly wait. :):)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For the amount of music you listen to I don't think the Titans will be a great choice, especially if you want to do any music listening without your sub. I used them as surrounds w/ 5SE MK3 mains and the same receiver you have and they didn't even seem to be able to keep up as surrounds. They really didn't impress me in extension and seemed a bit overworked in the upper-midrange and treble. Mine were V1, but i don't think there were any major changes in the V2 and V3 other than cosmetics.

I would definitely give the JBL S38s a listen. There are some great deals to be had on entire JBL Studio series, even from Bricks and Morter stores since the line is being discontinued. You may also want to look at the Polk RTi28s and RTi38s, Wharfedale Diamonds, and the Athena stuff Best Buy just recently started carrying.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Well, I think I have decided on a set. I plan on getting Paradigm Titans in front, a CC170, and Atoms in the rear. I really liked the way they sounded and they are shooting a really good price. Hopefully by next weekend I will have it all hooked up. I can hardly wait.
Do you have anything planned for a subwoofer? That setup is exactly what I have. It probably sounds good on its own but with a sub the experience is totally different.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Stephen,
I shot the music high in retrospect. I don't listen to hardly any music at home, but my wife does. She didn't go with me to the audition, but when we go (to hopefully purchase them) she will bring the cd's she listens to the most. Even if they are not the most musical, I doubt that it will matter to her. She seems to think that all speakers sound about the same, though she is coming around.

Justin,
I do have a sub. It is the Sony SA-WM40. It is a pretty good sub, especially since I did the polyfill mod. It has reduced the boominess a lot. I would still like to get a better sub (maybe a diy), but for now it works fine. How do you like your system? What sub are you using?

Just a general question. Who has used bass shakers? I am thinking about getting a pair from partsexpress, but I'm not fully convinced. My wife is not to thrilled, so I may choose against them, but I think it would be cool. :)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

You're getting the exact system I would have recommended. It may not be the greatest for music but they're not bad either. For HT they will do quite well for a small system.

I've never heard the JBL's everyone has mentioned so I have no idea how they might compare to the Paradigms. I do believe you'll be happy with what you're getting.

Happy Listening,

Alex

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, they are the package I had in mind from some preliminary listening I had done some time back. Then, when I went in for a serious listen, I was quite impressed.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I also have to say JBL is good and so is Klipsch. Out of all of the smaller home theatre's I think JBL and Klipsch make the best. Klipsch is a little brighter sounding though, all Klipsch are which is something you have to remember.

JBL are more neutral sounding. Denon is also a little bit more of a "bright" or "warm" reciever which would bring Klipsch out even more, while the JBL's would still sound pretty good. Take another look at the JBL and the Klipsch.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Bright and Warm are polar opposites when refereing to an amplifier or speaker's sound characteristics... Denon receivers have for the most part been considered slightly warm but closer to neutral... not as warm as an HK, but not as neutral as a Pioneer Elite. Denon, HK, and Elite are all good matches for Klipsch... Yamaha ans Sony ES are brands you want to stay away from matching with bright speakers like klipsch since they are bright to begin with (only slightly bright in the case of Sony ES, overly bright IMO in the case of Yamaha).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks