What speakers would you match w/ HK 525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan_Tams, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Bryan_Tams

Bryan_Tams Agent

I currently have a very cheap set of Infinity all-in-one HT speakers and a DSL Sub and want to upgrade at a minimum the fronts and center to go with my new HK 525. Budget around $1000 +/-. The problem I have found, is that most of the better speakers that I may audition, are being driven by Denon, Yama, Pio, etc., not HK. So I was wondering what everyone else is using with their HK receivers? Thanks.

2. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

I am using Dahlquist QX10s, plus related HT speakers. Less than $1400 total, though you can get cheaper Dahlquist surround to get it closer to $1000. I also heard HK with PSB Image and JMLabs Chorus speakers, and they went together quite nice. Any warmer type of speaker should do fine with HK. I probably would stay away from a brighter kind. HK is quite precise and dynamic at the top end.

3. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

JBL S310's and S38's w/ my HK. I think it is a good combo, especially if you like "rock" type music. Some 310 fronts, 36 rears, and a S center can be had for well under $ 1000 shipped to your door, a good way to go. I say s36's to save some coin over the S38's, but if you can spring for them go with the 38's.

While many consider JBL's Studio line "Best Buy" (store)type speakers, they are actually quite highly regarded by stereo mags and the stereo review sites. Best is to listen before you buy, do not buy speakers based on anyone else's ears ! ( except SVS of course ! )

BTW; If I had a budget of a little more than $1000 to spend,I would get a SVS 25-31, S310 fronts, and S36 rears, and hold off on the center till next paycheck. This would be a awesome start of a great system. If you have an old good 2 channel amp lying around, you could get the unpowered SVS for about $150 less and be only a little over $1K.

4. Dodie

Dodie Agent

HK 525 sounds great with B&W speakers. Go with either the 600 series 3's or the CM's. They say the B&W's are a little bit laid back speakers but with HK they sound great (with music and movies).

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I have Paradigm Monitors with my H/K AVR 320 and they sound beautiful. They are pretty easy to drive and with careful speaker place have great depth, imaging, clarity in the mids, sweet highs, and awesome bass extension.

I moved my rear channel speaker (Mini Monitors to the front for further break in, and the really shocked me I can't believe the bass extension they have, and the mid-range detail is amazing. I have to admit the detail is the mids are greater than my mains (Monitor 9's)in the higher range there even, and the 9's have a greater bass extension. But the Mini's are a complete waste as rear surrounds, I could easily use them as mains in a theater and they rock(play loud) without to much power. With your H/K 525 you will have no trouble pushing these and you'll probably be very satisfied.

6. Bryan_Tams

Bryan_Tams Agent

Thanks for the input. I have Paradigm and Def Tech on the short list, but will make sure I check out JBL and B&W. The wife will just love this process.

7. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Im driving B&W 600s3 series with my HK320. Its like having a wet dream every time I turn it on [​IMG]

-- John

8. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I agree with the Paradigm monitors, and B&W. Also four JBL S38's, and S-center would sound great on the H/K. The H/K's work well with the S-Series IMO.

9. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I have an H/K525 and am considering Studio 20s or 40s for mains. Is there a reason Monitors ar mentioned instead of Studios?

Are the Studios brighter?
    Are the Studios too power hungry for the 525?

I think I may end up having to lug my H/K to the dealer so I can properly audition with my own rcvr. I may be going over the deep end, but I don't want to get the Studios home and wish I had more power!

I play guitar and have a 50Watt head and 2x12 cab in my living room as well. I like my music clean and loud! [​IMG]

Would the Monitors go louder than the Studios with the HK525?

I have an SVS 22-31Pci, so low end is not a top priority. I've been auditioning Klipsch REF, RBH, Paradigm Monitor 7, Studio 20 so far.

Ok...enuff questions for now.
    Thanks and hope everyone's enjoying their weekend!
    guy

10. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

You will get a fuller sound with the Monitors I wouldn't get the Studios unless I planned on adding an amp soon.