What speakers would you choose ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EYESPORTS, Apr 24, 2006.

1. EYESPORTS

EYESPORTS Agent

For a family room - need speaker advice PLEASE.
    Up front - going with Paradigm Studio 40's along with Paradigm cc570
    Will have a Velodyne or SVS Sub-woofer.
    Need help with the surrounds (will be 7.1) - please note that 2 side and 2 back speakers will be in ceiling (sides and rear)
    Need advice on which ceiling speakers to get:
    Looking for 8 inch (4 of them) - not sure if they should be bipole.
    Not sure which to get for in ceiling (?Paradigm, Definitive Tech, Proficient?)

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Bruce,

IMHO you have locked yourself into Paradigm's. They are very nice sounding speakers so I would honestly use them for your rear speakers as well. I would also suggest using the SVS sub if you want a sub that gives you great bang for the buck. Its up to you but you can not go wrong with ether SVS or Velodyne. On that I would try to demo them and see which one produces the kind of bass you like. Its kinda difficult though as the bass you here at the retailer will most likely not be the same because of difference in room size and the accoustics of the room. These same reasons will also affect your other speakers and how they sound in that same room. The main reason for matching speakers is for even timber or tonal quality match from speaker to speaker. So all your speakers reproduce the same sounds the same way with the same tone when sounds and music move from speaker to speaker.

If you listen to sources like DVD-A or SACD multichannel, I suggest using Studio 40's for your back speakers as well, for each rear channel

If this is mainly a HT set up and you mainly only use it for movies I would suggest the Studio 20's for each rear channel.

So ether way you are looking at buying two pair of speakers to complete your home theater. And depending on what reciever you are using I might consider a multi channel power amp to get better sound from your speakers.

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    " Not sure which to get for in ceiling"

Oh almost forgot to address this. I would not recomend placing speakers in the ceiling. While you can do it IMHO you will get better results keeping your speakers as close to the same plane as you can. You will experience better imaging if you place your speakers as close to ear level as possible. If bulky speaker wires being visible is an issue you can buy speaker wire that looks like a flat ribbon and you can paint over them. They are also alot easier to hide than your standard speaker wire.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Even with multichannel music, the 20s will be fine for surrounds. They have just as much bass as the 40s, just without the additional sensitivity and greater midrange presentation. I have a friend who has a very similar setup to what you are considering - 20s and a 470 up front, with the Studio line in ceilings (4) and it sounds quite good actually. No real reason to have bipole ceiling speakers.

The 570 might be a bit of overkill too, the 470 is a very capable center. I'd say the only time one needed the 570 would be to match up to 100s.

You want a good timbre match, as well as a good timber match [​IMG]