What's new

What speakers work with Elite's? (1 Viewer)

Hey everyone. New to the forum and first post. So my VERY old H/K AVR55 died a few months ago so I'm forced to purchase a new receiver...not that this is a bad thing. I have read the opinions of many of you regarding H/K, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. But I used to own a Pioneer and really liked it, so I am leaning towards a Pioneer Elite. Not sure which model yet. My question to all you Elite owners is what speakers work well with these receivers? I wish I could buy the best, but of course there are budget constraints, so I'm looking at about $1000 for speakers. I do have a subwoofer now, but it will have to be upgraded at a later date. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
It's too subjective. It just depends on your own personal tastes....There are speakers that are very detailed vs speakers with a more laid back sound.

I'm using Rockets, 750's to the front and rear, the dipoles for the sides and the 200 for the center. They are powered by a Pioneer 47TX Elite..I do like them...other's get great results for what they like with other brands.

Spend some time in a few stores and see what you like. Also don't discredit the online speaker companies. Axiom, Onix....and if your handy, also look into kits..as you could save a bundle of cash.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Subjective is just the start, isn't it? Then there are things like how big (and what shape) is the room these things will live in, is there lots of furniture, etc. or wood floors and bare walls, and so on. Also, I might have missed if you were looking for a pair of speakers or more w/ center & surrounds - that obviously makes a huge difference in what you'd consider for a grand.

That said - lots of stuff has worked w/ our Elite. Paradigm Monitors & Studios, Axiom, mongrel JBLs and even my golden oldies (Marantz HD880A's) and no one's complained yet. And, they all worked w/ a prior model Yamaha receiver, too. Some things worked better in the big room, some in the smaller, cozier den (w/ different carpet). Right now it's Paradigms w/ the Elite in the big room (& Colonel Mustard w/ the knife in the... never mind) and it works.

You have to audition - either in store or preferably @ home. And listen to what you listen to (duh!) when you audition stuff and you'll do fine. I listened to all kinds of speakers and electronics and think that the listening environment usually made more difference that any of the electronics ever did (but speakers do vary). FWIW, I wouldn't obsess on an Elite as much as look for speakers that sound right to you (and that's from someone who semi-obsessed on Elite just 'cause). Elites are decent units, but so are lots of other electronics too. Be flexible, have fun, and good luck!

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah I am in no way sold on anything just yet. I pretty much just started looking at speakers and receivers last week, so I still have a lot of looking yet to do. I was also considering a Yamaha 1400. I'm sure it will take a while, but eventually something will make itself known to me.

As for the room, it is 12 by 21 feet with just under 8 foot ceilings, drywall, carpeting and plenty of furniture. Acoustically it's a very good room and I built it pretty tight. I am looking for the full speaker setup, front left and right, center, left and right surrounds and rear surrounds. I definitely know that the best thing I can do is just go listen to them for myself, and that's the plan, but it's hard to find all brands in one location or even one city, so any opinions would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks