What speakers to use in dedicated theater

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chad F, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Chad F

Chad F Auditioning

Hey, I'm pretty new to having a dedicated home theater. Put one together in the basement of my old house and then moved about 1 year later.

Well, in my new house I have a perfect place in my attic (my wife will love our Master BR being right below it).

My question is what speakers (front, center, surround, & powered sub) shouild i look at....my budget will be at $2000 for all.

Thanks in advance.

2. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I can only speak for what I own. My system consists of Ascend Acoustics speakers and an HSU sub. The mains are CMT-340's, the center is a CMT-340C, and the surrounds are CBM-170's. The sub is an HSU VTF-3MkII. After shopping around and listening to Athena's, JBL Northridge, and the Paradigm Monitor Series among others, the internet direct route seemed like the best way to go to get the most bang for the buck. So far, I've been very pleased and have yet to find a better sounding setup to my ears for anywhere close to the same amount of money. My setup can be purchased as a package deal from Ascend complete with sub for right at $1,800.00. Also check out Onix Rockets at av123.com, Swan speakers at theaudioinsider.com, Aperion at aperionaudio.com, HTD at hometheaterdirect.com, Axiom at axiomaudio.com, ACI at audioc.com, other HSU subs at hsuresearch.com, and SVS subs at svsubwoofers.com. Enjoy!!!

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

For dedicated HT use, I'd go with definitive technology speakers. They are di-polar so they radiate sound from the front and back. In a nutshell, this will make the sound seem larger. It's quite impressive.